DCNF installation ?

ward00

True Classic
How far are dual DCNFs supposed to sit relative to the distributor?

I just started to install my carbs and have come up with an issue where even with the cold start choke mechanism removed I can barely clear the distributor (i.e. there is no room between the distributor and the carburater for any type of air filter/air box to be installed - see picture).

I must have done or purchased something incorrectly, but am not sure what? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20230108_123857.jpg
    20230108_123857.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
My car is apart right now, but these are the pictures I took before I started.
I installed the carbs in the 1980s and don't have any notes to indicate I had to do anything to keep the distributor cap from touching the air cleaner. It just fit.
plate and dist cap removed.JPG
distributor.jpg

My Bayless catalog from 1980 shows seven different numbers for 42 DCNF and four different numbers for 40 DCNF,
The one I circled in the catalog (and indicated to fit on the Alquati manifold) is 42 DCNF 9 part number 18970.005, so I believe this is the one on my car.

In a couple places in the catalog it indicates one needs to use the 42 mm carbs in this application but does not say why. The manifold openings are only 40mm. May be the 40mm carbs don't fit? What size carbs do you have?

Below are the carbs listed for sale in the 1980 Bayless catalog. I also know my 308 has 40 DCNF 45/46/47/48; each carb is different slightly in the linkage.

40 DCNF 45
40 DCNF 47
40 DCNF 46
40 DCNF 48

42 DCNF 9 ***THIS ONE***
42 DCNF 11
42 DCNF 2M/1
42 DCNF 26M/2
42 DCNF 31
42 DCNF 32
42 DCNF 27/200

Last edited:
@ward00, where did you source your intake manifold? I think that's the issue. Also, will the ride side carb clear the alternator? My Score was fitted with the DCNFs back in the 1980s. I understand those have longer intake runners, i.e., the carbs sit up much higher than what Pierce and Monte Hospital offer. My carbs sit just like ICR's.

@ward00, where did you source your intake manifold? I think that's the issue. Also, will the ride side carb clear the alternator? My Score was fitted with the DCNFs back in the 1980s. I understand those have longer intake runners, i.e., the carbs sit up much higher than what Pierce and Monte Hospital offer. My carbs sit just like ICR's.

Sourced them from Italian Ebay. FB suggested I use an end mounted distributor cam/cambox from the FI engine. I think I will first try to stack a couple intake gaskets or make a spacer out of delrin.

The source isn't the issue. Its marked 'Beta M.C.' which Alquati made for the Montecarlo. Hopefully its not one someone machined for a Fiat engine tilt. If its on the Montecarlo without AC compressor there is lots more room lowering alternator. Some Montecarlo manifolds are designed with runner slanted away from alternator.

I'd slap one or two plenum spacers between the head and manifold to space it out further.

Last edited:
I'm also running the Alquati MC manifold and 42 DCNFs. If you're going to space the manifold out towards the rear of the engine, just be aware of clearance between the air cleaner tops and the drip rail "shelf" that runs along the rear of the engine bay. It's a tight fit, but everything should clear (barely) with short open filters.

I'm also running the Alquati MC manifold and 42 DCNFs. If you're going to space the manifold out towards the rear of the engine, just be aware of clearance between the air cleaner tops and the drip rail "shelf" that runs along the rear of the engine bay. It's a tight fit, but everything should clear (barely) with short open filters.
Is your's also a taller 2 liter?

Yes, I have a 2 liter. It's a 75 euro Beta Montecarlo car. I presume that might explain part of the clearance issue.

Last edited:
Yes, I have a 2 liter. It's a 75 euro Beta Montecarlo car. I presume that explains it.

Was asking RJ80.

Don't have my Alquati DCNF manifold nearby to compare however looking at the photo you shared (could be optical illusion from being slightly hidden behind cam box) it does look like your manifold mounting plate is much thicker at the bottom like someone milled it for different angle if the original plate was same thickness. And would explain why your carb is leaning inward toward distributor. If thats the case done to run on a Fiat block then your carbs won't be level using this manifold.

Last edited:
Was asking RJ80.

Don't have my Alquati DCNF manifold nearby to compare however looking at the photo you shared (could be optical illusion from being slightly hidden behind cam box) it does look like your manifold mounting plate is much thicker at the bottom like someone milled it for different angle if the original plate was same thickness. And would explain why your carb is leaning inward toward distributor. If thats the case done to run on a Fiat block then your carbs won't be level using this manifold.
Nope, mine is a high-compression 1.8, but it does have fresh motor mounts which possibly cause it to sit taller than old mounts would.

I never bothered to learn how many millimeters taller the 2L block is. How ever many extra belt teeth lengths divided by 2 I reckon is close without having both to measure.

Back