DEEP FRONT SPOILER SOURCE

eflexter

Eddie Flexter
In the "cleaning up the bumper" post, the question was raised about a picture of a bolt-on air dam.

I can't be 100% sure, but I'm convinced that it was designed for an original body style RX-7. I haven't been able to find the exact air dam, but I've found a few others. See pic. Notice the RX-7 in the back.

rx7.jpg

Here's another picture

I found this on Google Images searching for Air Dam RX7. Not the exact same, but with minor mods it would work.

rx7b.jpg

... I was just looking at my front end pic, thinking about ways to fabricate my own. Basically, just need to drop from the forward arch & bring it in the the grille area, squaring of that bottom corner. I want something like this look...

OR02-4.jpg

hmmmm... shipping on this is over 125bucks due to the box size, and it has to be bonded to the body, it has no mounting lugs. Basically, requires a bodyshop to fit properly, which would add $$$ to the price :hmm2:

Think I'll have to keep looking .

DON'T GIVE UP

If you look back about 20 years, the wedge body style was HOT. There are a few cars out there that look practically the same in the front.

Mazda RX7
Porsche 924
Triumph TR7
Ferrari 308
Early Saturn
Fiero
MR2
Opel GT

Out of all those cars, ther should be an old Air Dam sitting around that could be modified for a bolt-on fit. Make up some brackets and use a few stainless screws inside the fender flare?

hmmmm... shipping on this is over 125bucks due to the box size, and it has to be bonded to the body, it has no mounting lugs. Basically, requires a bodyshop to fit properly, which would add $$$ to the price :hmm2:

Think I'll have to keep looking .

What are you expecting to find?

Civic.

the donor purple pimpmobile I have for the b16 swap has a aftermarket front. I will size it up tomorrow (busy tonight). I am thinking with the X bumper off, the honda still is shorter from the front to the wheel.We will find out!

I few X's ago, I bobbled up a 1989 Plymouth Laser bumper cover on the front, I will see if I have any pics of that, even though it was more rounded than the X's angular body, it still looked pretty good!

Odie

civic is a no go

way to short from front to wheel well. this is with the front bumper removed
hondafiat.jpg

odie

Why do you think you have to do all the blending and body work to the fiberglass piece that JJ linked? You could trim and rivet it on just like the black on in the photo you posted.

No bumper will be a direct fit, they will all require some cutting, fitting, and extra effort and or money to install. Thats just how it goes with cars built like ours. Most aftermarket bumpers for modern cars that are cheap require just as much work to fit them to the cars they were made for, and only the really expensive well built or OEM bumpers tend to bolt up without issue. Even those rarely come painted out of the box.

Why do you think you have to do all the blending and body work to the fiberglass piece that JJ linked? You could trim and rivet it on just like the black on in the photo you posted.

No bumper will be a direct fit, they will all require some cutting, fitting, and extra effort and or money to install. Thats just how it goes with cars built like ours. Most aftermarket bumpers for modern cars that are cheap require just as much work to fit them to the cars they were made for, and only the really expensive well built or OEM bumpers tend to bolt up without issue. Even those rarely come painted out of the box.

I conversed with Charlie - the only appropriate way to fit his spoiler is with bodywork. I'm sure it could be cut, etc.. but I wouldn't pay $400 for a spoiler I'm then going to cut up to fit. The one in the pic isn't fibreglass, so is more acceptable for rivets, etc. Rigid fibreglass I don't think will hold up over time if it's just riveted, I think it'll stress crack around the rivet points, unless you reinforce with washers, etc, then it'll look like *ss.:hmm2:

I've found various RX-7 spoilers, etc, on craigslist, but most of them are still close to $200. Too much for something I have to hack to fit. $50 would be another story :rolleyes2:

I'll just keep my eyes open. I still haven't looked at some of the Volvo spoilers :grin:

emailed Charlie again...

... can't find anything that will look just right, and I really want to fix the 'skinny' nose look :D

Blu_X19_Serpent_Airdam.jpg
Gold_X19_Serpent_Airdam2.jpg
IMG_7300.jpg

Hussein... give up and just order...

... a COMPLETE Dallara Kit. That oughtta fix all the skinny things on the car.

BTW... that bumper does NOT help. I mean I like it and all... but it even makes it look skinnier!

started working on the spoiler mounts...

..the SerpentAuto spoiler is very nice, but has zero provided mounts for base support, so I started by bonding brackets to secure it where the stock spoiler mounts, and added tabs for the grille

IMG_7405.jpg

added a cross brace to reduce flex across the center.

IMG_7406.jpg

Back