Definition of a sports car

Chris don't you own an Element...

many think that is an acquired taste :guitar:

the Smart roadster looked cool enough... to bad it never made it over here and turned out to be junk.

smart-roadster-006.jpg

An Element is an acquired taste? Maybe, but

I have personally seen much weirder vehicles in Chris' driveway...
IMG_0483.jpg

:thumbsup:

A bit of history... Back in the day when horse_less carriages were in their infancy, it did not take long before the competitive or "sporting" aspect of drivers came to roost...

In Britain, horse_less carriage races were banned from their well groomed oval horse race tracks which moved horse_less carriage races on to roads... This is the origins of road racing in Europe..

In America where horse race tracks were less precious, horse_less carriage races were acceptable... This is why we have oval track, dirt oval track racing to this day in America.

In both cases. early horse_less carriages were not very reliable and required technical skills and expertise to keep the vehicle running. This is why early cars intended for motor sport evolved to having only two seats. One for the driver, one for the mechanic.. This became the origins and why "Sports Cars" to this day generally have two seats.

In time, the automobile developed enough reliability to exclude the mechanic. Removing the mechanic and related accommodations, made these cars lower weight which improved performance overall.

Thus was born the "Monoposto" (yes, it's Italian in the way Italians do stuff) or single seater racing automobile.. to this day.

Have a look at this Alfa Romeo 6C, Momoposto...
http://www.museostradale.com/radnor/alfaromeo6cvolpimonoposto_1938.htm

Any car involved in Motor_Sports can be considered a "Sports Car" or a car used for Motor Sports.

Bernice

The definition is in the name: "Sport"

Merriam-Webster: "Definition of SPORTS CAR: a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving

WOW

A bit of history... Back in the day when horse_less carriages were in their infancy, it did not take long before the competitive or "sporting" aspect of drivers came to roost...

In Britain, horse_less carriage races were banned from their well groomed oval horse race tracks which moved horse_less carriage races on to roads... This is the origins of road racing in Europe..

In America where horse race tracks were less precious, horse_less carriage races were acceptable... This is why we have oval track, dirt oval track racing to this day in America.

In both cases. early horse_less carriages were not very reliable and required technical skills and expertise to keep the vehicle running. This is why early cars intended for motor sport evolved to having only two seats. One for the driver, one for the mechanic.. This became the origins and why "Sports Cars" to this day generally have two seats.

In time, the automobile developed enough reliability to exclude the mechanic. Removing the mechanic and related accommodations, made these cars lower weight which improved performance overall.

Thus was born the "Monoposto" (yes, it's Italian in the way Italians do stuff) or single seater racing automobile.. to this day.

Have a look at this Alfa Romeo 6C, Momoposto...
http://www.museostradale.com/radnor/alfaromeo6cvolpimonoposto_1938.htm

Any car involved in Motor_Sports can be considered a "Sports Car" or a car used for Motor Sports.

Bernice

Now that's a beautiful sports car.

Gay happy? Gay homosexual? In a good way or are you using the word pejoratively?

If you have to ask what he means then you're not going to understand the explanation..... which means.... you may be gay. lol
And gay in today's world is bad. There is no GOOD definition for the word. The word gay is just as delusional today as the word SPORTS CAR! :eek:

Care to explain what you mean?

You wrote "And gay in today's world is bad"..."There is no GOOD definition for the word"

I'm not sure I understand you. If you really believe that, I feel sorry for you. But not much.

If that's truly what you meant then find a different forum. Hate speech is not tolerated here. If you're joking, your sense of humor leaves something to be desired and you may find it difficult to get along here.

I like the motor sports definition, as anything I would consider a sports car seems to fit that definition.

As far as the type of cars that can be sports cars, you have to call different types different names that still imply sporting characteristics.

We have, for instance, Sports saloons/Sports Sedans, Sport estates, and shooting brakes, Hot Hatches, "hypercars", sport utility vehicles and sports trucks (that's a whole 'nother discussion). So are they sports cars? No, but they have sporting designation anyway.

Paraphrasing the staff of C&D from the '70s

Does anyone have a opinion on what makes a sports car a sports car?

"Has nothing on it that doesn't help it go faster or turn better"

Maybe a bit too spartan a definition.

I work on the rule that a sports car is any car I would take for a drive just for the fun of going for a drive. Its about having fun and living life. The X1/9? I go for random drives all the time. My folks Camry? I try to avoid going to the shops in it.

I think the definition is a very broad one and fits a wide range of cars. I think a Jeep Wrangler would fit the definition perfectly if you were using it to cruise around a beach with the top down, doors off. My mates 400hp Skyline certainly fits the definition - the shove in the back makes you laugh out loud. My girlfriends Dad's hot rod fits the definition - cruising around on a Sunday afternoon in the dicky seat is awesome fun. Just as blasting favorite back roads in a Lotus Elise would be amazing fun, or tearing around the racetrack in a vintage MG TC Special.

I reserve the term 'proper sports car' for what most of you are getting at. I think light weight and good communication from car to driver are what's important. X1/9's, first generation Mazda MX5's, almost any Lotus, Clubman's and old Porsche 911's fit the bill.

Back