Steve Hoelscher

True Classic
2003 Solo Nationals, Topeka, Kansas:

NorthSlalom2.jpg

NorthSlalom3b.jpg

2010 Solo Nationals, Lincoln, Nebraska:

128490645NRvqqtXJIMG_2600.jpg

3 wheels

you know, they put 4 wheels on for a reason.....

Congrats again! It is TRULY a pleasure knowing you (even if only through cyberland). When I talk to people about you, one of the most impressive things my car friends notice is how humble you are. They are amazed when I have shown them past forum notes that I have printed out that you describe exactly how to build a car capable of beating you. You dont win my secrets, you win from talent. They are also impressed that, even though you have made living out of rebuilding transmissions, you are one of the first to lend a hand (or at least pictures and writeups) on how someone can do their own.

Odie

So lifting the inside front on occasion isn't such a bad thing? I was debating softening the front rebound a touch, I might still test it out.

Gosh...

Gosh Odie,

I am truly humbled. I am just trying to have some fun with my cars and share my passion with my friends. God has blessed me with some many gifts. Its only right I should share them. Clearly I can count you and the people here among those gifts.

Thank you.

Inside fronts

So lifting the inside front on occasion isn't such a bad thing? I was debating softening the front rebound a touch, I might still test it out.

No. The car lifts the inside front under power. What you are seeing is the roll axis working and nearly 100% weight transfer.

Ulix, the car's have nearly identical roll axis location and roll rates. The only real difference in the setup is the MR2 has less negative camber for the slicks.

So much for the rubbish about good guys never winning. We all know one who has won six times!!! :woot:

...and now to randomly end this post with the Top Gear Lancia Stratos video, because I just love it when Hamster says, "Ohhh, that's a proper noise!" :dance:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG9BOrj2YYk"]YouTube - Lancia Stratos TopGear TestDrive 720pHD[/ame]

Odie... You don't know the half of it...

How 'bout him flying out to CA in '06 and going through 5 transaxles in ONE day!

HA!

I'm priviledged to know him!

For rear wheel drive (4WD too) race cars that are properly set up, properly driven and operate with mostly mechanical grip (aero cars are a completely differnt roll of tires), 90+% of the weight is transferred to the outside front wheels which results in inner font wheel lifting.

This is also why ackerman steering does not apply to real race cars. If the inside wheel contributes little to no real grip, it's really along for the ride and not really helping to generate grip.

This also brings up the topic of roll centers and how it's location effects mechanical grip.

Bernice

No. The car lifts the inside front under power. What you are seeing is the roll axis working and nearly 100% weight transfer.

Ulix, the car's have nearly identical roll axis location and roll rates. The only real difference in the setup is the MR2 has less negative camber for the slicks.

Back