Desert Car Kings - brief view of X1/9

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
I was watching this weeks episode of Desert Car Kings on Discovery. They were restoring an Olds 442, but there was an X1/9 parked in front of the 442. Only a brief look at the rear of the car, but definitely a red X with a luggage rack.

I will get a screen grab if I remember to record a repeat of the episode.

Screen caps - looks like a early model

XonDesertCarKings2.jpg

XonDesertCarKings4.jpg

XonDesertCarKings3.jpg

XonDesertCarKings1.jpg

XonDesertCarKings5.jpg

BTW: SageTV is really a great product Tim. I built a system for my wife back in 2006 and she loves it. I put a 300GB drive in it originally. It has grown to over 2TB of disk space. I would have to pry the controller from her cold dead hand to get access. So these caps are just from the tuner in my desktop.

Yawn! More Detriot iron! Big deal.

They sould take that X and restore it. Or something else besides the wet dreams of elderly boomers.

I really think the whole 'muscle car' desirability boom is getting ready to crash its last crash... at least from my personal observations. All my co-workers my age or older... who watch those AutoAuction shows on Speed and come to work and drool about how much the only Yellow Cuda with a 3speed AND A GLOVE BOX LIGHT made in 1971 went for... they are all fading out on the old muscle car love dramatically in the last 4 or 5 years. The hardest hard core dude sold his unfinished 69 Chevelle, and his running 64 Bel Air... Took a bath on both of them too! He just got tired of stuff like manual brakes, sticking door handles, when his Expedition has a amazing stock stereo, working wipers, and seat heaters. Breaking thru the 50year old barrier he's suddenly gone all wuss.

Add to that a 16 year old girl in 'pathetic' 2010 V6 Mustang would surely our run his Bel Air with it's lumpy rumbling 350 and 4.10 gears! It was a high 14second piece at best. To get it faster would have made it even more of a pita to deal with on a daily basis.

All the guys I work with who've talked for over a decade or more about that awesome Camaro or Nova, or whatever, they were getting when the kids went off to college... are now more concerned about how much out of pocket they have to pay with the suck healthcare plan the company dropped on us, etc. They can't afford a toy, and I'm betting lots of American's in that age group are just like them. The rich few will be the only ones in the pool.:bored:

Thomas,

I think that is the case as well. I have a ton of buds who are muscle car-heads and cept the ones who DIY, they are all pretty much moving onto cheaper hobbies :)

I really think the whole 'muscle car' desirability boom is getting ready to crash its last crash... at least from my personal observations. All my co-workers my age or older... who watch those AutoAuction shows on Speed and come to work and drool about how much the only Yellow Cuda with a 3speed AND A GLOVE BOX LIGHT made in 1971 went for... they are all fading out on the old muscle car love dramatically in the last 4 or 5 years. The hardest hard core dude sold his unfinished 69 Chevelle, and his running 64 Bel Air... Took a bath on both of them too! He just got tired of stuff like manual brakes, sticking door handles, when his Expedition has a amazing stock stereo, working wipers, and seat heaters. Breaking thru the 50year old barrier he's suddenly gone all wuss.

Add to that a 16 year old girl in 'pathetic' 2010 V6 Mustang would surely our run his Bel Air with it's lumpy rumbling 350 and 4.10 gears! It was a high 14second piece at best. To get it faster would have made it even more of a pita to deal with on a daily basis.

All the guys I work with who've talked for over a decade or more about that awesome Camaro or Nova, or whatever, they were getting when the kids went off to college... are now more concerned about how much out of pocket they have to pay with the suck healthcare plan the company dropped on us, etc. They can't afford a toy, and I'm betting lots of American's in that age group are just like them. The rich few will be the only ones in the pool.:bored:

BTW: SageTV is really a great product Tim. I built a system for my wife back in 2006 and she loves it. I put a 300GB drive in it originally. It has grown to over 2TB of disk space. I would have to pry the controller from her cold dead hand to get access. So these caps are just from the tuner in my desktop.

:thumbsup: I am up to 3TB. When I discovered how to convert MPG to MKV format that helped, but its easy to "hoard" recordings :(

Sage is pretty sweet and don't know what I would do without it.

!

It's easy to forget how uncomfortable those old muscle cars were. I just finished a '65 Mustang Fastback. It's fun to look at and totally reliable, but handles like a boat and the windnoise inside makes it hard to talk inside the car. They weren't the best cars, which leads to the original problem of American automakers all going bankrupt. Remember that little detail? There was a reason.

The X is a far more refined car than the old Mustang.

I have owned many(Z/28,GTO Judge,Roadrunner,Mach1,etc..) of the musclecars at on time or another.When I tell some of the youngsters at work they cant believe I had those cars and let them go.It is hard to explain that those cars ran good in a straight line,but didnt handle well,ride well,or stop worth a crap.A new 5.o Mustang would bury all of them on a strip or a road course.Barret-Jackson succeeeded in cashing in on nostalgia.Those cars were never that good! The prices they command is ridiculous.

my 2c

I think one of the contributing factors to the explosion in muscle car prices over the past 10-20 years has been the desire of older guys (like me) to buy the car we dreamt about as kids.

The latest generation (like my 20yo son) will in 20 years time want to buy the car they dreamt about when they were kids. Hence, in the future muscle cars will drop in value and second hand cars like todays WRX's, Evo's and Nissan GTR's will rise in price.

I think it's all part of a revolving natural cycle.

So if I was to buy a car today and put it in the shed for 20 years it would be a Japanese hot turbo like the current Mitsubishi Evo 10.

Your Thoughts?

Back