Developing X specific website.

DuaneEstill

Banned User
Okay guys. Having been a 9 year plus member of this wonderful forum and always finding something here worth while, I think I've finally found a way to enhance the overall X experience. I've been very interested in the Honda conversion for a two years and have tried to find things in one place. Well...I'm going to create a separate website, NOT A FORUM, that has all types of X mods listed and detailed on it. This is not intended to compete with Xweb, but to merely provide an auxillary reference point. The idea would be to have the site host documented projects and mods to the X that someone could simply click out to and be able to reasonably do the mods by referring to the content.

All that said....I have registered the domain x19mods.com ( I love how short the domain is!) and it is not built out yet, but I'm getting started this week and will built out a site listing the Honda conversion, and any other worthy X mods, on the site. So....if you will give me your support and work with me on providing info, I'll post your mod or documented projected of your mod, of any kind, on the site.

I would very much appreciate any and all support and or contributions, and I will of course cite you as a reference on the site. Thanks guys. I'm very very excited about this and finally have a little extra time to do this!

Your thinking in no different than the thinking that spurred sites like 124turbo.com or the Guy Croft site. Some people are not looking for instructions for everyday mundane activities like changing the oil or fixing a fuel leak. The two mentioned sites are almost exclusively high performance related content. I would welcome a site separated into street performance, sanctioned racing specs, suspension, etc. Check out the sites if you have a moment. While mostly 124-based, there are some X1/9 projects going on. And some of them are mind boggling.

How to identify what mods to have on www.x19mods.com ?

First off love the idea!

Question: Plan to store ALL mods listed here on the forum? Some random nice things to include:
1) Rating by users of the helpfulness of the mod "how-to"
2) Level of difficulty of the mod how-to
3) Feedback (maybe?)

Could also provide sort of a wikipedia style so edits can be made by experienced members who have done the mod and found something to add to the how-to article?

-Tim

Yes indeed....

I've seen them all, and they do vary wildly, for various reasons. Some are focused on only a few modifications, or to sell said modifications. Others are very good ideas, but bad execution on the web.

I will list mods by category, and I think the difficulty rating and user comments is an excellent idea as it enhances the effectiveness of the resource, like running into specific issues or offering efficiencies not yet seen.

I welcome any and all input on this....thanks.

how about

race mods vs street mod and a review of the mod weather it really macks a difference on performance or is it just cool to do or whatever? like for instance this mod is intended for race only not intended for street use, this mod has no performance Gian just cool.You could also have members email you with comment on how they liked the mod and post it with said mod like I really like the mod it mad my car handle so much better/mad my light brighter or what have you.this is going to be so awesome for the X1/9 community Thank you so much for putting it together.when I get to doing my VW Dub radiator mod I will take as many pitchers as possible and document part numbers and stuff.

Right, although there are other options...

Creating another site is always an option, although it ultimately leads to fragmentation of a relatively small community.

A while ago I wanted to start a separate site to support a Wiki as I thought that it was something this forum was lacking and would provide a medium which is not supported by the forum. Luckily Mac convinced me to contribute my efforts and combine the Wiki with the X web forum. I'm glad that he did that.

I feel that between the wiki and the forum we have all the tools to document all aspects of X ownership. The two media are different, but if you are looking to document things, take a look at the Wiki.

I'd really encourage you to investigate the tools we that have at our disposal before creating something anew (a lesson I myself have learnt).

Cheers,
Dom.

Consider all options

I like the domain name and the concept is great but I too think that fragmenting the limited X19 people is not a positive effort. Perhaps one of the moderators can chime in with their thoughts.

Personally I like the idea of a one stop X19 site. We already actually have two sites, which is a pita in my opinion. Anyway you did post the idea here and you have many others postings here and are a valued member of the community, so I am sure you will weigh the options and make a good choice.
Bob T

Good thoughts..

Thanks for the honest remarks.

At best, I would want the site to be a 'hey here's a link' type of thing. This site is the premiere resource, bar-none. I view a site that's easy to remember and that features specific mods in as easily readable/printable format to be an assett. I would never in a any way want to detract from this site. I guess I just love this place so much I saw a site offering 'life extending mods in accessible format' to be a good thing, which is the intent. Thanks for all comments. There is just so much knowledge here that it's incredible.

Back