Difference in Brake Fluid Quality

xbjbx

Jeff Ballard
OK, so I'm making noise about re-doing my master cylinders ... I think I'm set on a Tygon hose changeover.

I'd like to go to silicon based fluid, but since I'm not doing a caliper, etc. overhaul, I have concerns about getting all the old DOT 3 out to prevent any funky mixing from happening.

And then I was thinking, I've always used store brand (Auto Zone or Advance) brake fluid ... big bottle, cheap. Was that a fu...., er, faux pas?

What brand is favored by our resident experts?

Would I really gain anything in a non-racer in going to a DOT 4 fluid over a QUALITY DOT3?

Jeff

Just wondering...

Most of the how-tos on replacing brake components on cars of X1/9 vintage tell you to clean the parts with either new brake fluid or denatured alcohol. So one would have to assume that denatured alcohol is compatible with the "rubber" portions of these systems.

Soooo, I'm wondering if it would be OK to flush a system that's not being disassembled (such as yours) with denatured alcohol as a cleaner and water absorber, then follow up with a final mini-flush and fill of the brake fluid that's going to stay in the car?

2 YR Fluid Change

I'd like to have that choice, but dripping fluid on my shoe usually comes before 2 years go by!

Jeff

Brake Fluid Info

Good Stuff!

I need to spend some time looking at quality DOT 3 choices. I'll be very curious to see if any of them tout anti-corrosion features.

Jeff

Denatured Alcohol

Seems like it would have a drying effect on the rubber parts ... but from this conversation I think I have a mission to shop DOT 3 selections.

I have to tear down a 77's hydraulics eventually in the next year or so ... we'll see how this round goes whether I will consider silicon again.

Thanks,

Jeff

DOT 5 Pros and Cons

Seems like this subject comes up every 6 months or so. Check the archives for my own thoughts and experience on this question.

Or else, go here to my Post no 8 in this thread: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281874

To address your original question, no big deal, flushing out the old fluid using DOT 5 as the new fluid is perfectly fine, simply bleed until the new fresh DOT 5 fluid appears at each caliper and you are OK.

I'm not a fan of DOT5 brake fluid. Do a search on xweb and there will be many past discussions on this.

My perfered for road cars continues to be ATE super Blue/Red/Amber, it is DOT4+. Change/flush the brake system about once every year or two. This will prevent moisture loaded brake fluid from causing a problem (corrosion) in the brake system.

Avoid large containers of brake fluid, like the gallon size. The greater the open volume, the more surface area that can draw in moisture.

When rebuilding brake bits, lubricate the seals with silicone grease before assembly, this will make the seals a lot happier and easier to put back together.

O
I'd like to go to silicon based fluid, but since I'm not doing a caliper, etc. overhaul, I have concerns about getting all the old DOT 3 out to prevent any funky mixing from happening.

And then I was thinking, I've always used store brand (Auto Zone or Advance) brake fluid ... big bottle, cheap. Was that a fu...., er, faux pas?

What brand is favored by our resident experts?

Would I really gain anything in a non-racer in going to a DOT 4 fluid over a QUALITY DOT3?

Jeff

Hard to argue that kind of science! I'm swapping everything to DOT 5! Turns out I was totally wrong!:headbang:

From this same thread on FerrariChat, I posted:

"I have no interest whatsoever in getting into yet another useless internet debate on this subject, trying in vain to convince those who have never used this fluid and whose minds are already firmly made up on this topic."

Castrol Fluid

That's not bad, and I like what it says.

I had found the Castrol SRF Dot 4 product ... at $70 per liter!

The LMA looks like around $5 for 12 oz., less than $15 per quart ... bit pricey ... ATE Blue is about the same ... so it is a contender.

Thanks,

Jeff

When rebuilding brake bits, lubricate the seals with silicone grease before assembly, this will make the seals a lot happier and easier to put back together.

Had read this before ... the silicone grease doesn't "contaminate" the fluid.

Jeff

Ok, from a slightly different perspective.....

Daily Driver (big heavy turbo audi 5 cyl with marginal brakes) Motul DOT 5.1 (note, that DOT 5.1 is compatable with DOT3 and 4, and is not a silicone fluid, but is a high quality synthetic with a high wet and dry boiling point.)

Ford Heavy Duty DOT 4 (can get it at any Ford dealer (fleet trucks are intended use, but gives excellent pedal feel, and high dry boiling point) and its relatively cheap.

The Motul DOT5.1 can be found at most good motorcycle shops (think sport bikes) and the Ford stuff at the Ford dealer. $11/0.5 liter abd $3.95/qt respectively.

Back