Differences between 73 and 74 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Differences between 73 and 74 ?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 26 2000 at 12:55 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("grady"); // --> </SCRIPT>grady <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I'm coming across a number of items on my '73 that I haven't seen before and was wondering if some of these things are the same on the '74s. I currently have a '75 (later model) and a '79, but no other early cars to compare with.

1. The hood/trunk emblems appear to be metal and enamel.
2. The chrome trim at the back of the targa support has a rectangular cross section (not rounded)
3. The spare tire is held in with a bungie type cord like the tool kit and jack.
4. Interior door handles are metal.
5. The covering on the "package shelf" is rigid plastic like the trim that runs down behind the doors.
6. The handbrake mount has a choke lever and auxilliary throttle lever on it.
7. The release for the seat back is a push button rather than a lever.
8. The front side lights are small and round on a rectangular plate. At the rear there is just a block off plate. (I think this is just because it's a European model).
9. It has a cam mounted distributor and no indentation in the firewall - a block mounted distributor won't fit.
10. The engine cover latch is exposed - there is no overhang at the top of the rear wall of the engine compartment.
11. The rear trunk is deeper - no extra insulation for the cat.

-grady<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Ulix[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Early X, yeah!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 26 2000, 3:02 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->1. The hood/trunk emblems appear to be metal and enamel.

'74 had that, I don't know at which point they went to the cheesier ones
happy.gif

2. The chrome trim at the back of the targa support has a rectangular cross section (not rounded)

Early 74 had that, later 74 had rounded trim.

3. The spare tire is held in with a bungie type cord like the tool kit and jack.

I think very early 74s had that too.

4. Interior door handles are metal.

Early 74s had metal spoon-shaped handles, later 74s had chromed plastic straight ones.
I have some spoon shaped ones that when installed on my late 74 will stick out way too far. This suggests that either they changed the window regulator (would make sense) or that my handles are for some other Fiat. I believe in the first theory.

5. The covering on the "package shelf" is rigid plastic like the trim that runs down behind the doors.

Oops, I have never looked at that very closely, don't know.

6. The handbrake mount has a choke lever and auxilliary throttle lever on it.

The handthrottle is Europe only. 74 had it in Europe I think, but not US. 32DATR carb for Europe, 32DATRA for US.
Choke lever in US only on 74, Europe longer. I'm not sure if Europe ever got a water choke.

7. The release for the seat back is a push button rather than a lever.

Where is the push button?
On the '74, there is a lever under the front of the seat, but also a lever behind the seat in the middle of the seat back.

8. The front side lights are small and round on a rectangular plate. At the rear there is just a block off plate. (I think this is just
because it's a European model).

Right, that's for all euro models. They are turn signals, not parking lights.

9. It has a cam mounted distributor and no indentation in the firewall - a block mounted distributor won't fit.

Does the 74 (no access cover) have an indentation? Not sure. If not, you could use one.

10. The engine cover latch is exposed - there is no overhang at the top of the rear wall of the engine compartment.

Good observation. This was changed for 75 because the rear crossmember on the 74 and earlier models proved weak and ripped out. You MUST install bracing in the trunk before the turbo motor pushes the dogbone and the crossmember into the trunk.

11. The rear trunk is deeper - no extra insulation for the cat.

All US models had the "second floor" '74 models in Europe didn't I think. Don't know when they added it for Europe. I believe they came up with this for the hotter running '74 US smog motor and then adopted it for Europe later.
Also, your muffler is mild steel, US 1300s all had a stainless system, heat again being the reason I think.

I wish I could check out your car personally.
happy.gif

Ulix
RightSideTiny.jpg

http://www.mirafiori.com/~ulix

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mac[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Grady, where do you live? <nt><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 26 2000, 4:20 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("grady"); // --> </SCRIPT>grady <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I'm in Los Gatos, CA<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 26 2000, 5:45 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Just south from San Jose.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mac[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I have a friend there!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 28 2000, 9:32 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Grady, I have a long-lost buddy from my time in the Military (we got kicked out together
wink.gif
) who is very close to your area.

His name is Jason Anderson & the last time I knew where he was, he was living in Santa Clara. I have reason to suspect he is still in the area there, but I have been unable to locate him ever since we "got out"...

A couple years ago, I was sent to Santa Barbara by my employer for a 3-day business trip. On evening #1, after the day's business, I took my rental car & drove all the way to Santa Clara to try & track him down.

I never found him that night, and I ended up having to pack it in & drive back to Santa Barbara in order to be in the right place come morning, but I can tell you one thing - it sure sucks trying to locate one guy named Jason Anderson in a California phone book!!
tongue.gif
Why couldn't his name have been Mtzlplk Grflsdit?!

Anyway, if you ever have the chance to find that guy, send him in here for me would you? I've been hoping to track him down for years...

Back on topic: How the hell did you find a '73 X1/9? Is it an early '74 but with a post-6-'73 build date? AFAIK the '72 & '73 cars never made it to the USA, the first being the earliest '74s...

If it is not too personal a question, what is the build date & VIN number? -Mac.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("grady"); // --> </SCRIPT>grady <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->ebay rocks ...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 28 2000, 2:11 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I bought the car on eBay back in January. It's from Italy and has VIN #128AS0001104 ... a real 1973. I'll be posting some pictures soon.

email me with more info on Jason Anderson and I'll see what I can do ...

grady<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 90px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->that was YOU?!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 28 2000, 7:25 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 90px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I saw that car sell!! Damn I wanted to buy it, but I could never have afforded to ship it over
sad.gif

I am really pleased to know that it went into the hands of an enthusiast, and that you are here sharing the glee with us!
happy.gif

Excellent. There may be others (that would have been self-imported) but yours is the only honest pre-'74 that I know of in the US. You must be pretty damn happy! Congrats, and I am looking forward to hearing more -Mac.

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->push button seats<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 26 2000, 6:14 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Here's a picture:
seat.jpg

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Ulix[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Ohhhhh<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 27 2000, 9:55 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->So the seat back angle is not adjustable!
On the '74, they went with a similar system, but the push button is replaced by a lever that can engage in a couple of different positions.

Looks like you have a digital camera, can you shoot some more pics for us? Especially of the early car oddities. I would really appreciate it.

Ulix<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->yes! The oddities!!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 27 2000, 10:25 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start --><CENTER>
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
</CENTER>

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Gregory Smith"); // --> </SCRIPT>Gregory Smith <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->A clue<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]June 3 2000, 1:26 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->This is what the 850's have, in case you didn't know. Is this original or did someone convert the seats? I'd like to see a picture of the whole seat, and then I could tell you if it looks like what's in my 850.
Bye, I'll go back to LURK mode!
happy.gif

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back