Difficulty Engaging 5th & Reverse

lookforjoe

True Classic
Did a quick search - didn't find a pertinent thread - I doubt it's an internal trans issue - any quick pointers on known shift linkage issues that would impact this? Basically I have to push the shift over hard against the shifter ball seat side rail to get either gear. I already rebuilt the shifter itself with new seats, etc last fall.

I have to drive the car daily right now, as the Volvo is down with a dropped intake valve :sigh:

Hussein,
I had the same problem when I got my car. Check the connection under car between the "lollipop"(?) from the trans and linkage/bar that comes from the shifter... the holes of those aren't the same size and a bolt with a spacer that helps fill up the hole of the larger connects them. If the bolt is loose or the spacer is missing or installed the wrong way there will be a lot of play. I ended up getting a replacement bolt and spacer from midwest to fix mine. I have a diagram of the shift linkage saved somewhere, I can post it tonight if you would like a reference.

Hope this helps.

Did a quick search - didn't find a pertinent thread - I doubt it's an internal trans issue - any quick pointers on known shift linkage issues that would impact this? Basically I have to push the shift over hard against the shifter ball seat side rail to get either gear. I already rebuilt the shifter itself with new seats, etc last fall.
Almost certainly shift linkage adjustment, possibly lollipop getting soft.

Check the lollipop carefully, and if it is good:
Put the transmission in neutral, slacken the nuts on both sides of the lollipop, get someone to hold the lever straight up and down while you retighten the nuts. If you still can't get it into 5/R easily, try again with the lever held just a bit to the left of straight up and down (Too far, and you may find you have trouble reaching 1st and 2nd).
I have to drive the car daily right now, as the Volvo is down with a dropped intake valve :sigh:
What - You're forced to drive the X? Every day? Oh, you poor thing...:grin:

That's exactly what it was - the spring washer is long gone & I used a plastic washer to take up the space, but the nylock nut had backed off - so when I pushed the shifter over, the trans rod wasn't rotating properly.

Tightened it up & all is good. I'll have to get a new nylock nut.

Volvo - I just had 10 brand new intake valves installed in a spare (newer design) head, and high lift cams (designed to work with stock springs - it wasn't binding) from Enem in Sweden- one of the intake valves snapped

XRdroppedValve0001.jpg

XRdroppedValve0005.jpg

I like driving the X, but I miss my 300+ AWD WHP :grin:

Back