Dirty transmission?

Peter Mahr

Daily Driver
I am using the engines out of an 81' and an 82' X to build a good motor to transplant into my 74' driver. As I was pulling the engine/transmission out of the 81' X, the speedometer cable wouldn't come out of the transmission after unscrewing the sleeve normally holding the cable in place. On the 82, the cable came right out. I loosened a fastener on the side of the 81' trans, and the entire cable with plastic drive gear came out suddenly when I pulled. Problem is, about a 1/2 teaspoon of road gunk promply fell into the resulting hole! I haven't done anything else to the trans. since, origional oil is still in it. I don't really want to take it apart...... Can I flush the dirt out some how? With what? Must I take it apart to clean?

Welp... sure...

You really NEED to install 4 quarts of Redline MTL anyway...

Set up your trans so that you can drain the old oil out via the drain plug just below the left axle... The upper plug is the FILL hole. For this job I would remove them both... but do reinstall the speedo gear.

Then fill the trans with about 2 quarts of PAINT THINNER... also known as MINERAL SPIRITS that you can get at Home Depot... (buy a gallon for about 10 - 13 bucks... cheapest you can find)

Reinstall the plugs and roll the trans around a bit... no need to shake... as the thinner will do its work. I would let it soak for about 15 minutes and then roll it upside down and on its sides for 15 minutes each for about an hour total.

Now drain out the thinner and discard (properly)...

If its still rather dark... add another quart or two and do the soak and roll again... and drain again. This oughtta do it.

Then install 3 quarts of Redline MTL... then set up the trans as if it were in the car... and install as much of the 4th quart as possible until it overflows from the top fill hole. I have installed 3 1/2 and 3 3/4 quarts in 5 speeds and 4 quarts in a 4 speed! HA! Its a mystery to me but that's the truth!

MTL can be had online at myoilshop.com or call around locally at hi performance or off road parts stores. Usually 10 - 12 bucks a quart. Expensive but well worth it!

Hope this helps...

Papa Tony is Da Man:worship: and has a world of experience on our car, but in this particular case I would not immediately do what he suggested.

Consider this: Wouldn't it be best to try to remove as much of the debris as possible before you use a flushing technique that will likely allow the debris to spread into all of the sensitive areas of the trans, like the bearings?

Here's what I would do:

The speedo drive mounting hole in the trans casing is in the differential section of the trans. On the other side, you'll note that both the drain and fill holes are also right there in the differential section.

The good news is that this area is more or less the low point of the trans. My theory is that you will be able to flush out most of the gunk that fell in just by flowing solvent in the speedo drive hole and out thru the drain hole.

I would think that the best thing to do would be to keep the trans in the car for the moment. (If it's already out, then keep it upright and do as little as possible to disturb the gunk that fell in.)

First, clean around the speedo drive hole and the general vicinity to ensure that no more gunk will fall in.

Position drain pans and such under the trans, then drain out the existing oil, noting how much of the original blob of gunk makes it way out of the trans "naturally."

Next, using your shop vac, rig up a nozzle that can fit inside the speedo hole (say maybe some 3/8" or 1/2" copper plumbing tubing), duct tape it to your shop vac hose, and suck out what you can of the debris.

Then, using Tony's idea of some sort of solvent (I'd probably use gasoline), keep the drain and fill plugs out and start pouring the solvent into the speedo hole, again looking to see how much more gunk gets flushed out.

After flowing some solvent and judging how much gunk is getting flushed out, make the decision as to whether you want to proceed with the full flush that Tony wrote about.

On second thought... Do as Dan suggests first...

As I re-read your post... Dan's methodology might be best if there wasn't as much gunk in the hole as I first thought.

I would still do a full flush and refill with MTL though... and Dan, thanks for the kind words, the respect is mutual!

Not related to the procedure....

I noticed at one of Paul Stoltz's transmission seminars that there's a sizable magnet INSIDE the case (not far from the drain plug) that saturates itself with metal particles. (over time) I'm guessing that no amount of flushing will clean up this mess. (after all, the magnet holds it all together)

I'm sure the flush will do some good, but leaving that magnetic glob of filings inside the transmission case (by itself) means your flush will never be as clean as you'd like it to be without disassembing the trans case.

Road gunk...

I'm sure the flush will do some good, but leaving that magnetic glob of filings inside the transmission case (by itself) means your flush will never be as clean as you'd like it to be without disassembing the trans case.

... right, but in Peter's case it is road gunk that fell into the transmission, so I don't think that will be metallic. The magnet will just be holding on to the shavings from worn gears which have accumulated over the years :)

Cheers,
Dom.

Change the transaxle oil (Redline MTL) and be done with it.. There is a magnet inside the transaxle to catch small metal bits.. and another on the bottom drain plug.

If the transaxle is "flushed" with any solvent.. it would be very difficult to get it all out. Mixing oil with solvent is never good.

Bernice

I am using the engines out of an 81' and an 82' X to build a good motor to transplant into my 74' driver. As I was pulling the engine/transmission out of the 81' X, the speedometer cable wouldn't come out of the transmission after unscrewing the sleeve normally holding the cable in place. On the 82, the cable came right out. I loosened a fastener on the side of the 81' trans, and the entire cable with plastic drive gear came out suddenly when I pulled. Problem is, about a 1/2 teaspoon of road gunk promply fell into the resulting hole! I haven't done anything else to the trans. since, origional oil is still in it. I don't really want to take it apart...... Can I flush the dirt out some how? With what? Must I take it apart to clean?

Back