Donations for Mac, how to use?

budgetzagato

Administrator
This is a blanket post for those who donated toward Mac's memorial expenses, family needs, his X project, or other reason. Nearly $700 was donated.

Since his memorial, the idea for trusted forum member Bob Brown to buy Mac's car and restore it in a private way but effectively fulfilling Mac's dream, his mother and girlfriend's dreams as well, has come up. To do this well, Bob wants to do it without strings attached either expressed or implied. As you can understand this project has a lot of emotional importance for us all, and Bob would like to minimize other complications.

I'd like to hear from you as to what you'd like me to do with your donation. I spent nearly $500 in rental, food and bagpiper for the memorial. I'm covering about $160 (discounted rental and bagpiper) of that since the rental was at a facility my church owns, and the bagpiper was purely my idea.

There is some money left, about $350, but because of this new idea I'm unsure what to do with it. Please reiterate if you would like your donation to go toward the memorial costs, the car project, or donated to the cancer research or animal shelter as described by Leslie, Mac's mom. Money was offered to Leslie for cremation and other costs but politely refused.

What this means to you is if your donation was intended to be for the car project you have a couple of options. Option one is that your donation be used for the car project even though it will be in private hands. For instance, to help with transport or for parts as needed. In this case they would be sent to Bob. Another option is for your car-directed donation to used in some other way, like the causes already mentioned.

It's very important that you contact me with your preference. I know it might be redundant but I want to be careful how this is handled. The forum trusted me with these funds and so I want to be sure to meet that trust with how the funds are used.

Ricardo is in a similar situation, many of us bought stickers of Mac's signature so that extra proceeds could go toward the MacX project. Please let him know what you would like done with those funds as well.

Thanks in advance,
Gregory

Personally my vote is for a donation to a charity that deals with mens issues or youth suicide, I think that is most approriate in Mac's honour.

SteveC

Greg, Ricardo... I know its difficult and all are good causes...

I believe Steve said it well and the money should go to the Cancer Center (Fred Hutchinson, I believe...) for Pancreatic Research... which was a close issue to Mac and the disease that caused his father's death.

I think if it is divided up and distributed to the animal shelter and/or the car and/or the transportation or returned... it becomes more and more an insignificant amount... and all the people involved so far, including Bob, have declined to accept it.

Lastly... Greg, especially this... You were ENTRUSTED with the money in the first place... so what YOU choose is what I, and I believe all others, should be OK with. (Its part of the PERKS that go with the job! HA!)

Thanks again for all you do and for all you've done on our behalf in this matter.

What the (above) have said...

And I'm going to throw this out there as another idea, if the donation to charity or cancer center idea doesn't happen...

Just a thought - as I don't know what Mac's Family has planned...
It would be nice for the family to have a memorial stone set with Ian's name beside his father's, if said exists.
They cost a few hundred dollars, or roughly what the remainder of the donations left are. Again, just a thought.

Otherwise, I have no preference

Last edited:
I have no preference.

I bought a couple stickers from Ricardo. I have no preference how the money is used. I trust both you and Ricardo to make a fine choice. Whatever you two feel is best will work for me.

cover expenses...

After all my main idea is to use this money to cover the memorial expenses, nobody needs to “load” with this (my 2 cents) if is not necessary, donate will be my second option.
If Gregory can (sorry to abuse again from your time) I can send the money to him, he can distribute the money to cover the memorial expenses or make the donation.
Or I can make it directly from here, just I need your help to destiny to right direction our donation.

Mac's X Project will be come true any way.

well...

Hi Bob, Greg & all... Well, if Bob refuses the funds toward the car, Ian's dad did die of pancreatic cancer and it would have been a cause Ian would have supported. His dad doesn't have a marker or stone as his ashes were scattered, and Ian's will be scattered as well, not only in Elliot Bay in Seattle but also in Scotland as he would have loved. Please use the funds however you decide, I'm for whatever you all decide, it's fine with me, and just happy to know his little car will be restored, what a great meaningful thing to have happen, Leslie.

More... following what I've read so far...

A Marker would indeed be nice, but apparently there is no place to put it. I believe that goes along with the territory with ashes scattered that way.

If so... then I think it would be best for Ricardo to forward his funds to Greg, and have Greg select the charity from those mentioned with concurrence from Leslie and Rose... and give the entire donation to that charity in Memory of Ian "Mac" McIntosh.

I know there really isn't any real urgency... but this should not be belabored much longer... For Greg's sake and the family's...

Back