door

x192023

Dallas
My door won't shut on my 82 , checked lock and releases
not sure why it wont shut, anyone had this problem.
on the frame it is open like it should be ,thought that was the problem but wasn't ..

Thanks
Dallas

Hmmmm... a 1:16 am post deserves...

... an answer at 3:37 am...

But I'm not sure of what you speak.

I am gonna ASSUME that the door fits the opening and simply won't LATCH.

Are you saying it won't close all the way and then LATCH, or are you saying it won't close all the way BECAUSE the LATCH is closed and hits the peg?

In either case... lot's of WD40 into the door mechanism and then try "toggling" the latch with a screwdriver while operating the door-latch handle from BOTH the inside and out.

If this doesn't work, then off comes the door card and you'll need to remove the latch from the door.

More depending on your response...

HTH...

Assuming

You are new to X1/9...
My apology if you are not.
If someone had flipped the locking arm down (a loud double click) the door will not shut.
It is a stupid analysis but then "the door won't shut" is a stupid problem.

Enjoy -

My door won't shut on my 82 , checked lock and releases
not sure why it wont shut, anyone had this problem.
on the frame it is open like it should be ,thought that was the problem but wasn't ..

Does it not close all the way before latching, or does it close but not latch? Check the action of the latch with the door open by forcing the latch closed by hand, then opening it with the handle. If the latch is working well, nothing is blocking the free swing of the door, no junk in the hinges, springs for door stop not broken and blocking the door at the front edge, door alignment good....

If it still won't close, look for interference between the latch and the catch on the door frame that the latch engages. If the door closes but doesn't latch, or interferes with the catch, you can adjust the position of the catch by loosening the screws that hold it in place, moving it, and tightening the screws down.

Is it jacked up?

When I had mine painted, it was off the four wheels. It was actuallly supported by only three jacks for about 2 weeks. This caused the body to twist and the door wasn't closing. It was hard to detect as it was barely catching on wrong parts. Hard to describe where. When the forth jack was adjusted it closed right away. The body is solid and rust free.

Thanks for the replies,no not new to x19's ,but this one is a tough one
I had this sort of thing happenend on my jeep back door latch
I did check the other door and noticed the outside latch is nice and tight and also will lock and when u shut the door it will not shut which is normal ,then unlock and shut which is normal as well
but the other side is loose and not sure if its wore out or it can be tighted i noticed some screws, I did take my hand and making sure it was guided but still wont shut ..here is a photo which u can tell it is posioned wrock..just flops and wont lock in place ..hope I explined this well enough :)

<div style=

After looking further into this ,looks like I need a left door strike, seems mine is wore won't lock
into place,If anyone has one aval ..let me know

Thanks

It appars to me the LATCH is the major problem...

It should be pointing towards the STRIKER, not down. Are you saying the striker is kinda bent or butchered in some way also?

I'd try Mad Matt there in Ohio as he would be the closest for parts... or a local wrecker. AFAIK, all the latches are the same for all years...

Here ya go:

http://www.midwest-bayless.com/stor...Detail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=0&i=250927174

I couldn't find a listing for a STRIKER... call Tom or Matt and tell'um I sent ya. Ask for my SENIOR DISCOUNT as well...

Back