dual carb intake story, and who uses m7x1.0?

Kevin Cozzo

True Classic
For those wanting the joy of dual carbs, and never having the experiance
I got an exhaust leak with my vicks header and stoles dual dcnf setup...apparently a nut vibrated off the far end exhaust stud, so off with everything...no big deal...while taking off the intake, I just didn't think, and started removing fasteners...on the Stoles intake I had, there's a center fastener thru the cross bar, and now I know why. It should be put on first and removed last, especially if you leave the carbs on...I didn't and all the weight caused the outer end mounting ear to break off the intake, and lead me down a painful journey, lol. So I start looking around and I was in a big hurry, as the weather right now is perfect where I live for top down driving
I found a pierce intake on Ebay, actually from pierce, for a bargain of 160 bucks...it was listed as the dreaded 128/x universal angle. I bought it on impulse thinking I can make it work, as all this aftermarket stuff isn't just plug and play, and it really is up to the end user to make it work. So after I got it, I noticed the angle sloped back to nowhere close to level, and started looking elsewhere, and/or investigating changing the angle. And oh yeah, like the previous one I had, it wouldn't just slip on, because the vicks header flange conflicted, so I had to painstakingly grind the bottom flange with a belt sander. So after I did that, it was no longer "returnable" and it was mine now
About this time, besides the angle issue,I had the reality that the new manifold did not have the center support, and it was shorter in height, and placed the carbs closer to the cam box....all I could imagine was the intake breaking off hitting a big pothole, and what about the geometry of the linkage? Another issue was if my custom phenobolic heat shield spacer would fit. The big advantage here is I can build a bigger airbox, for better airflow, which was another problem I've been looking at
I measured the angle difference which was about 2.5 degrees, and took it to the machinist. I opted to have the engine side machined, as there is already some slop in the bolt holes, and they could be dremeled out. As for the thickness of the flange, I would just have to mill down the header bolt hole thickness to match, which I had to do with the previous manifold...For you newbies, the intake and exhause share mounting studs, and the flanges on both need to be very close in thickness...My last remaining issue was the center support ear hole...fortunantly, the crossbar had a flat edge, and I was able to make a bolt on bracket to add the added support.
So I got the intake yesterday after work, and the machinist even cleaned up the stud holes to be perpendicular to the flange (yes, thank you!) I checked out the bores with a gasket, and they are close nough for now, but of course the inside was rough as sandpaper, so I spent a couple of hours clening it up on the inside with the dremel. I decided to mount the intake first then the spacers and carb. My old studs were M8....I thought I was over the hill, nope! the new intake has m7x1.0 mounting holes for the carbs wtf? lol. So after work today I will be getting out the drill, drill guide and tap and die. I thought about getting m7 studs, but all I can think of is the "centering" of the carbs
I wrote this for all those that are contemplating dual carbs for the first time, especially if you're piecing it out, I'm sure most with the 2 carb setup have been thru this. It isn't just bolt on and go...I will try to post some pics later today

I dunno, I got a manifold for an X for my dual IDFs and everything bolted up just fine...on both my Xs. Not to say I have not had aftermarket headaches in the past. Your experience seems not typical but hang in there. The sound of dual Webers on an X will transform your enjoyment of the car and turn you into a fool......unless you like easy listening channels and wonder how to get more sound deadening in your X.

I bought my headers, intake, and carbs from the same guy, Joe Serra, and everything lined up perfectly. His header had features welded on to insure that it was the same thickness as the intake to insure the seal was good at the shared studs.

How was the thread size of M7x1.00 verified?
Unless the internally threaded holes are specifically modified to M7x1.0, the internally threaded holes will be 5/16"-18 or 24 tpi or M8x 1.25.

DCNF, DCOE throttle shafts are M7x1.00 threaded. M7x1.00 is often used on French cars like Citroen, Renault, Peugeot..

Bernice

I bought my headers, intake, and carbs from the same guy, Joe Serra, and everything lined up perfectly. His header had features welded on to insure that it was the same thickness as the intake to insure the seal was good at the shared studs.
Serra Autotecnica... it was a long time ago!

Serra Autotecnica... it was a long time ago!
It was so long ago that the headers, exhaust pipes, muffler, Sprint intake manifold & filter plus two brand new 40DCNFs from Bologna, Italy with phenolic insulators cost a total of $695!

When I first met Joe, he had a place in Valhalla, NY. Back then, it was called Serra Enterprises. Some time after he moved to Bedford Hills, NY, the name changed to Serra Hi-Performance Products, Inc. There was also a Serra's Bedford Auto Service, Inc. around that time so I don't know if he divided the business between parts and service. I believe the last literature I got from him had the Serra Autotechnica moniker. I used to drop by to see him when I was in the area on business or to see family. There was often some kind of product development work going on as a number of the products he sold were designed there. I thought he was pretty brave to offer a turbo upgrade for the X and Scorpion before the days of EFI and automotive computers.

How was the thread size of M7x1.00 verified?
Unless the internally threaded holes are specifically modified to M7x1.0, the internally threaded holes will be 5/16"-18 or 24 tpi or M8x 1.25.

DCNF, DCOE throttle shafts are M7x1.00 threaded. M7x1.00 is often used on French cars like Citroen, Renault, Peugeot..

Bernice
Ding ding...Bernice wins a prize...I couldn't find a thread checker last night and roughly measured the diameter of the hole....I was assuming it to be m7, because my m8 wouldn't fit- found the checker tonight, and it is indeed 5/16 thread, which is even worse, because I can't simply drill it out due to the max diameter of the holes, and now I guess I will have the old kings thread size studs...not happy, as I have undersized nuts for m8 studs, making carb install much easier. I guess Pierce manifolds idea of a joke. Sigh another PITA to deal with

BTW you guys are killing me with your easy installs...lol..and yes Carl I know how good the twins sound, I already had some, and missing out on some good weather to hear that chit, lol. So I guess to answer my own question, this kinda chit does only happen to me! Ha!

I have gotten aftermarket dual carb manifolds with different thread sizes on opposite ends of the carb mounting studs, as I recall metric where going into the manifold and SAE where the carb mounting nuts go.

I have gotten aftermarket dual carb manifolds with different thread sizes on opposite ends of the carb mounting studs, as I recall metric where going into the manifold and SAE where the carb mounting nuts go.
yeah probably just get the 5/16 studs, I saw some with smaller sized nuts for carbs also. I have noticed that SAE carb studs are course thread at the base and fine thread at the carb

yeah probably just get the 5/16 studs, I saw some with smaller sized nuts for carbs also. I have noticed that SAE carb studs are course thread at the base and fine thread at the carb
Typical "SAE" carb stud has 5/16-18 threads on the casting end, 5/16-24 threads on the carb end.... This allows using MS21042-5 flange nuts on the carb end. These are prevailing torque (so they don't self-unwind then become FOD). with a 3/8" wrench size..

Been using these MS21204 series of nuts on carbs and else were for decades, works good. BTW, most common size is 10-32 followed by 1/4-28 with the larger sizes not so common..

Bernice

Back