Dumb question about RHD...

Pete Whitstone

True Classic
I was looking at some pics of a RHD drive car, and I got to wondering about the pedal arrangement. Are the pedals reversed? In other words, from left to right, is it clutch/brake/gas, or gas/brake/clutch?

If the gas pedal is on the right like on LHD US cars, where does it mount? It's not by the central tunnel... is there a rod or tunnel or something that shoots over to the central tunnel?

Pics would help satisfy my curiosity....

Thanks,
Pete

Answer...

The pedals are the same. There is a linkage rod that goes under the carpet that connects the gas pedal.

No photos on hand, sorry.
Brett

Thanks Brett

Kind of what I figured... if they were reversed it would be a real pain switching back and forth between RHD and LHD.

Pete

The gas, brake and clutch are all situated the same as in LHD cars.

The gas pedal is just extended across the floor.

Found this photo here in the Prototipo thread!
P1030141.jpg

I was looking at some pics of a RHD drive car, and I got to wondering about the pedal arrangement. Are the pedals reversed? In other words, from left to right, is it clutch/brake/gas, or gas/brake/clutch?

If the gas pedal is on the right like on LHD US cars, where does it mount? It's not by the central tunnel... is there a rod or tunnel or something that shoots over to the central tunnel?

Pics would help satisfy my curiosity....

Thanks,
Pete

Yeah that was the photo that got me wondering...

But I couldn't tell if that was a gas pedal on the right, or a "dead" pedal.

Thanks,
Pete

The pedals are the same way around and due to the longer linkages make the accelerator more 'sticky' on some cars compared to LHD. On the Bertone cars of that era on LHD you could rest your clutch foot on the wheel arch but on RHD often there wasn't much space for your left foot once you had changed gear!
Paul
Glasgow UK

Foot rest

On the Bertone cars of that era on LHD you could rest your clutch foot on the wheel arch but on RHD often there wasn't much space for your left foot once you had changed gear!

There is a metal footrest installed from the factory on RHD cars next to the clutch.

Last edited:
There is on a x'y
There is no room at all on the Countach nor footrest
Very little on the Ferrari 308GT4 although you could throw your foot into the passneger well
Not much on the the Jalpa
A bit on the Khamsin.. I could go on.
I was referring to other Bertone cars of the era!
I wear slim almost racing type shoes for all these cars. None have great space for big feet or long legs!
Paul
xx

Which, IMHO...................!!

There is a metal footrest installed from the factory on RHD cars next to the clutch.

...is angled far too steeply to comfortably rest your left foot on!!

On my RHD 1300 X, I shortened the footrest support bracket by about 50% to give it a much more comfortable angle for your foot to rest on!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Back