E-Brake Info

tfphoenix

King Phoenix
Hey guys, Since I got my car the emergency brake has not worked, when I pull up on it it seems very tight and will only move up until it clicks twice and stop. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a short throw or not until I disconnected the cable from the handle and it was able to go up much further. A colleague of mine (who worked for a fiat dealer a long time ago) suggested it might be that the lever mechanism on the rear caliper may be frozen up and causing the problem. Any tips you can give me on how to diagnose further etc. are appreciated. Thanks!

Does the car stop straight and smooth?

Hey guys, Since I got my car the emergency brake has not worked, when I pull up on it it seems very tight and will only move up until it clicks twice and stop. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a short throw or not until I disconnected the cable from the handle and it was able to go up much further. A colleague of mine (who worked for a fiat dealer a long time ago) suggested it might be that the lever mechanism on the rear caliper may be frozen up and causing the problem. Any tips you can give me on how to diagnose further etc. are appreciated. Thanks!

The standard adjustment is supposed to be two or three clicks to start locking, so it sure sounds like something is frozen.

Does the car stop straight and smooth with the pedal/hydraulics? If so, you don't have a stuck piston, and the diagnosis of frozen (or misassembled) caliper mechanism is almost certainly correct.

First check the cables to make sure that they are moving smoothly. You'll do this by reconnecting the lever, then disconnecting both cables at the calipers.

If the cables are good, reconnect one to its caliper and see if the e-brake will lock the wheel on that side. Then disconnect that cable at and connect the other side to its caliper, and see if you can lock that wheel. This will tell you which caliper(s) have a problem.

Your choices are to replace the offending caliper (moderately expensive, but fast and easy) or to rebuild it (very inexpensive, but definitely a PITA the first time around). If you rebuild, you should do both calipers.

Couple other things

Eric sums it up pretty well, but a couple more things to be aware of:
1. Check the connection at thebrake handle linkage under the car.
They should be adjusted so that there is even pressure on both brake calipers.
You'll have to jack up the car up and look underneath the rubber plug located just forward of the shift lever linkage. (rear of car)
2. There's an adjustment at the pull handle. Sometimes it's in the form of a screw adjustment (early model)
and sometimes it's by sliding the entire handle assembly (secured by 4 bolts) toward the front or rear of the car. (late model)

I checked mine by loosening the cables completely, (under the car) checking each lever for proper operation, then snugging each one at the point where the rear brakes started to grab, then backed off a turn. (both sides) Then I used the brake handle adjustment in the center console to adjust the height of the pull to lock up the brakes.

Don't know if this is "proper procedure" but it has worked consistently for me. -Good luck!

Thanks

I will give it a shot. The car did stop smoothly as I remember but noisily as well. The car sat from roughly 2003 to 2009 before I got it, being driven on rare occasion so when I brought it home there was rust on the rotors but even so it braked well after a little bit of driving.

Back