Early/late model chassis weight differences

Hasbro

True Classic
My search was in vain. Wondering where the weight differences are besides bumpers etc. Is the early chassis any lighter? Any reading material re. the differences would be appreciated.

Weight differences across the years....

I cannot give any hard numbers, other than my own cars that I have weighed. But in general---

74 in stock trim ~2000 - 2050 lbs

75 - 78 in stock trim - a bit heavier. Addition of heavier bumpers and smog gear

79 - 80 carbed - a bit heavier yet. Addition of heavier engine block, larger flywheel, 5 speed transaxle, heavier axles, heavier wheels.

81-82 FIAT fuel injection ~2160 - 2200

84 - 88 Bertone - depends. From a low of the 81-82 weights to higher with the addtion of power windows & air conditioning.

Some of the earlier models had air conditioning as well, but mostly Bertones.

Ciao,

Just more goodies in the later cars

The bumper brackets on the later cars are a little more metal and the frame rails are stouter to support it. I am not sure about the rockers. Perhaps Matt can chime in as he has cut open a bunch of these cars. The rear upper crossmember is stouter to resist engine torque in later cars. Probably only a pouund or two. If you are looking for light weight, start with the best chassis you can afford and strip it down as desired.
Bob

Thanks, guys. Wanted to make sure I wasn't limited to just the earlier chassis. I want to build a very light dd/track days car.

I cannot give any hard numbers, other than my own cars that I have weighed. But in general---

74 in stock trim ~2000 - 2050 lbs

75 - 78 in stock trim - a bit heavier. Addition of heavier bumpers and smog gear - and addition of extra rear engine compartment bracing.

79 - 80 carbed - a bit heavier yet. Addition of heavier engine block, larger flywheel, 5 speed transaxle, heavier axles, heavier wheels.

81-82 FIAT fuel injection ~2160 - 2200

84 - 88 Bertone - depends. From a low of the 81-82 weights to higher with the addtion of power windows & air conditioning.

Some of the earlier models had air conditioning as well, but mostly Bertones.

Ciao,

^

A properly stripped out race prepped X1/9 should be in the 1500 pound range, getting under 1500 pounds is DIFFICULT!

Bernice

Thanks, guys. Wanted to make sure I wasn't limited to just the earlier chassis. I want to build a very light dd/track days car.

Back