electric fuel pump.

Duncan

True Classic
I want to get rid of my mechancial pump because its low down in the engine and has sprung a slight oil leak.

My cars a carbed 1500.

I'm not sure which electric pump to buy. I think I need a pump that pumps up to 4 psi.

http://www.fuelsystem.co.uk/web-facet.pdf
The one I'm looking at is a solid state pump (what ever that means) made by facet - part number SS500, 2 to 4 psi, 25 gallons per hour.

Would this do the trick?

Thanks

Duncan

Yes it will work but

It "clatters" constantly. You can get them cheap at most auto parts stores, BUT

You should really be getting this one HERE:
It cheap $, held in with 2 bolts, (10mm I think) and can be easily changed out by
pulling the spare tire out and removing the cover that allows access to the distributor.
Did it myself & it's a breeze. Don't hassle with special wiring to that ruddy electric pump.

Hope this helps ya.

I would recommend...

fixing/replacing the mechanical pump. The solid state electric pumps are very noisy and don't do any better job than the mechanical one. Plus a new mechanical pump is about 1/2 the price or more of the electric pump.

But yes it would work.

The Facet pump works fine. I have used them on a number of X's and there has been on on my '74 off and on for many years.

I prefer the electric pump over the mechanical pump as you have to shim the mechanical pump to set the fuel pressure correctly. A very tedious process. Also, because my car sits for days or sometimes weeks, it only takes a flick of the switch to prime the dual DCNFs.

Mount the pump low and if you can, convert to an FI fuel tank as the pickup is at the bottom. You should also run a pressure regulator.

electric fuel pump

That is the pump that I have on my X racer. It does the trick and I'm very happy with it. Somethings to consider when installing this pump:
- it is very noisy when running so install vibration isolators between the pump and the mounting surface.
-Even with the output rated at 4psi max I still had problems with needle valve float. Install a pressure regulator and that will take care of that.
-install a separate electrical circuit with an in-line fuse and toggle switch for the pump. (increased theft protection!)
-Don't forget to take out the mech. pump and cover up the hole!

Duncan... for what it's worth and from what you describe...

... ya gotta fix the oil leak by removing the old pump anyway... You could be DONE in 15 minutes with a new mechanical pump. No noise, no wiring, no re-routing of fuel lines...

But hey... ya got nothing better ta do, want no more of a tangible performance gain, like to hear the clickity-click, feel the vibration, can't wait to install a fancy aluminum block off plate, have extra money to blow... and wanna have fun... then by all means, install the electric!

You've convinced me

it's not one of my better ideas . I think I'll stick with the mechanical pump.

Thanks

Duncan

Hey Duncan... its not necessarily a BAD idea... I thought I'd just...

... throw up a big MIRROR so I could possibly "reflect" a bit of just where you may be heading.

I too would run an electric if I truly needed that 1/4 horsepower it sucked and all other things needed to remain equal. Probably go with an electric water pump also along with a crankcase vacuum pump.

You'll find most of these tricks on a 1/4 mile drag car... as this is where they really shine!

Back