electrolytic rust removal on exhaust manifold

final cleaning and wire brushing

apparently you are not supposed to apply phosphoric acid solution before painting on a high temperature part, in case the solution leaves any residue. So, I threw it in the tank, scrubbed with hot water and dawn to get rid of the black residue, hit it with a heat gun, and scrubbed with a wire brush. Here is the final picture before painting, suppose if I had a sand blaster I'd get the crevices at this point, but I don't so it's getting painted as is. Here is the before picture as well.

P1010493.jpg

P1010452.jpg

what did you do with the heat shield? The material sandwiched between the two plates kept contaminating my solution as it absorbed PB Blaster, or perhaps the aluminum was perfectly content conducting current instead of the rusty side. So I wire brushed that as best I could and painted it as well. The heat shield is definitely a sand blast item.

This is a pic .....

That's a Vick Header Nickle plated.....only 100 miles(it blued on the first test firing 30 sec). Ceramic coating is much, much better.....and helps with heat too.....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(it blued on the first test firing 30 sec).
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Which is why anytime your installing a stainless system, you wear rubber gloves, properly clean the parts and dry them before installation and a wipe down clean after installation and before firing for the first time. Once fired anything and everything thats on the stainless (like finger prints) will be there 4-ev-er

Back