Exhaust rattle....

ltheriau

Jet fuel for the X....?
Good day folks, just read on another thread on dual carbs, a comment about an exhaust rattle (heard on youtube video).

It sounds an awful lot like what I have as well.

I'm just wondering what modification is being done to get rid of this rattle?

I've ordered the "lasercut stainless steel hangers" (not received yet) from an overseas member, but have yet to decide on how to hang the exhaust.

Thanks in advance....

In my case, the hanger "ears" were rusted and a spring or two were loose and flopping around. Took 'em off, running 2 springs instead of 4 hoping for an excuse to ditch the exhaust and run something that sounds good.:)

Yep, make sure the "ears" are good and all the springs are there and tight. If one of them gets loose, it can make an awful racket. If you want some ideas for something custom in a slightly different direction (rubber dampers) take a look at this:
systemmountedleft.jpg

This was the test fitting before the outlets were put on the muffler. Best shot of the hangers on this system....

Ears....

Hopefully the new "lasercut stainless steel hangers" along with new springs will fix my problem.

Otherwise, I think I'll be doing a complete exhaust system replacement.

Thanks fellas.

Fixing ears...

I've had some luck in cutting new notches in my hanger bracket ears. Somehow the springs occasionally get loose, I recognize the sound now and fix it later.

Yep, make sure the "ears" are good and all the springs are there and tight. If one of them gets loose, it can make an awful racket. If you want some ideas for something custom in a slightly different direction (rubber dampers) take a look at this:
systemmountedleft.jpg

This was the test fitting before the outlets were put on the muffler. Best shot of the hangers on this system....

Ultimately I think if you go with rubber mod (like this) you will remove ALL rattle. To fit a custom exhaust I had added 2 addtional brackets from the bottom of the trunk (picks later) to add some stabilty still using springs. But when I put the car back together I am going to come up with a rubber hanger mod similar to your's pictured.

I like..

Thanks! Mine was more than just the "usual" mod, though...
tipsmounted2.jpg

But I think the best angle was...
tipsmounted5.jpg

I'll try to dig out the mounting tabs this weekend. They're somewhere in the garage...

Thanks folks....

For the different ideas.

I sure like your mod Dave.:thumbsup:

Maybe something to look at in the near future.

Back