Explain cookies to Carl

carl

True Classic
Not the kind you eat, I know all about them. Most web sites now have a box that pops up that asks for your cookie preferences. I will admit to the world right here that I really don't know what their purpose is and which "options" I should be selecting.

So someone here can take pity on me and explain in non computer tech terms what it's all about. Remember, you are talking to an old, not computer savvy, mechanical engineering dinosaur, not your nine year old child who would understand completely what they are.

I already see you clowns sighing and shaking your heads.

A cookie is a piece of information they place on your computer to track you and your use of across the internet. Other sites can access these to gain information about you to then offer you other/similar services.

A cookie can have positive features as it will identify you on that website and keep your preferences of that site. It used to be they were just installed whether you wanted them or not but due to some EU laws they now have to ask to install them, as they don’t know if you are in the EU or not so they ask here too in order to not inadvertently break the law.

A better explanation here:

I notice a lot of these cookie request banners take up a big portion of the page you are looking at and there is no apparently "no thanks" options so you end up navigating around a big dead spot on your screen.

I notice a lot of these cookie request banners take up a big portion of the page you are looking at and there is no apparently "no thanks" options so you end up navigating around a big dead spot on your screen.
Very true. Basically they are trying to force you to accept their cookies. I don't know what the legalities are about it, but it seems to me if the EU requires the option to accept cookies or not, then the option to say "no" should be included. Most do, and some are very clever at hiding that option. But I've found some that don't appear to allow a "no" answer. Frankly I close those sites and look for another one with the same content but no forced cookies.

I'm with Carl, I really do not know a lot about internet/computer technology. So there might be ways to get around the cookie issue that I'm not aware of? I believe most operating systems have options to empty the cookie folder upon shut down, so maybe there's other options? Or can you install a cookie blocker, similar to pop-up ad banner blockers?

I realize cookies as a whole are not necessarily bad. But my understanding is some are very undesirable for a number of reasons? And you won't know what you are getting.

Most cookies trace your behaviors for personalized advertisements. You can surf "in private mode" to clean up cookies when you leave a session. That is good but unfortunately, it also removes some useful stuff. By EU laws you can deny all cookies except functional cookies. I use the MS Edge browser and I like it very much. It has a lot of functions to keep your privacy and removes most ads with the uBlock Origin plugin (ex you can watch Youtube without commercials). -Highly recommended.

I assume that when you are "on-line" you have pretty much allowed tons of breaches of your privacy regardless of cookies, fudge brownies or apple pie even if you were to only go here and MIRA.

If you want to add a further layer of protection and are a bit computer savvy set your default dns server to cloudflare 1.1.1.2 / 1.0.0.2 and if you want to lock things down even further set it to 1.1.1.3 / 1.0.0.3

I recommend Brave Browser, blocks cross site trackers and cookies by default. https://brave.com/
I have been using Brave as my primary browser for several years. I do use the new MS Edge browser when an important (to me) site doesn't play well with the restrictions on Brave. For example, the login screen for one of my financial institutions seems to take forever to load when using Brave, but pops right up on Edge.

The best feature of Brave: no Youtube ads in videos. I get annoyed when I watch Youtube on my smart TV and have to watch the ads.

.............see that, the geeks get going and my eyes glaze over. I'll just pull a Trojan over my mouse.

My previous job was in IT. So I can try and explain cookies in terms anyone can understand.

A cookie is a way for a browser to remember something. There are essentially 3 types. Temporary, time limited and permanent. Temp last just while the browser is open and are just in RAM, so no file. time limited have an expiry date but do write a file and permanent last forever.

Only the server that issues the cookie and read it. Nobody else. (well you can read your own but google.com can't read a microsoft.com cookie).
So this all sounds ok, but many sites use the same plug ins on their web site, each coming from their own server and each have their own cookies.

A "good" use of a cookie is where a web site remembers who you are, so you don't have to keep logging on.

"Bad" cookies, we can call them that for now, can be used for targeted advertising. Lets use google as an example. If you search on google for something, lets say a hat, google can write to the google.com cookie that you might be interested in a hat. Then you visit another site, say an online store, that have google provided adverts, well that advert can read the your google.com cookie and decide to show you hat adverts. Now if that store pays google to only show things that they sell, suddenly you see them offering you their hats and you might wonder how did that do that.

Is this really bad, well that's up to you.

EU regulated cookies as someone discovered that the browser is writing a cookie (a text file) on your computer (in your cookie storage area, nowhere else) without having to be asked, so potentially without your knowledge or permission. So they put in law that you have to ask permission before you can write a cookie.

Hope this helps. Cookies are actually pretty simple but can be used in cunning ways.

Back when I first was introduced to the internet, I was told never to type anything in you are not prepared to stand up and say to anyone and everyone.
On the internet nothing is private.

Hope this helps

So generally speaking, accepting the site cookies is not the end of the world as we know it...........yet.

Do you happen to know if Chrome has a feature to automatically clear all cookies every time the browser is closed?
Not that I know of, but I bet you can get a plugin.
You can set to ignore 3rd party cookies. Personally I have this set for incognito mode, but allow them in normal mode. But you can set this for all browsing if you like, which is kind of close but you might find some web sites don't work as well as you like.

Not that I know of, but I bet you can get a plugin.
You can set to ignore 3rd party cookies. Personally I have this set for incognito mode, but allow them in normal mode. But you can set this for all browsing if you like, which is kind of close but you might find some web sites don't work as well as you like.
Two questions, how do you change that setting for 3rd party cookies, and can "incognito mode" be made the default mode when the browser is opened? Thanks

Two questions, how do you change that setting for 3rd party cookies, and can "incognito mode" be made the default mode when the browser is opened? Thanks
To answer both questions, take a look at different more secure browsers rather than chrome.
I have a browser called DuckDuckGo, it claims to be very secure and private browser. Its new so I am still testing it out

Back