FB market place V Craigslist

Buddy of mine sold his one-owner GTV on BAT pre-Covid. He had to work hard for several days, but the payoff was good and the new owner was cool.
I used to love BAT back when you could submit something odd you found on the internet (cherry 79 Subaru GL wagon) and they would actually list it. Now it is an auction site for an area of the market that I don't play in. (Things over $5000). Probably an effective tool for getting good $$$ for a car.

Yes - very true. I do wish him well. Seemed like a nice enough guy in the early days when you could converse directly about submissions. A true eclectic car guy.

BAT is definitely high end now, but it serves a purpose. I don't sell most of my cars there, but when I do have something rare or exceptional, it is a great venue to find the right buyers. There are people that just want a particular car and will pay $$$$ for the right one. Like most of us here, I tend to be the other end of the spectrum. It will be a great place to sell my TR3 once it is done as it will be a brand new, high dollar restoration, and then hopefully fund my other projects.

This is the second time you have posted basically the same response to talk about BaT. I see no actual Fiat content in your response and it sounds more like a sales pitch to use BaT. Please explain the intent of your post so we all know what you are trying to say.

@EricH asked for opinions/experiences on BAT (in comparison to Craigslist and FBM). My comments are that it is very different from Craigslist and FMB or even Ebay, more like a Mecum auction. I look at Craigslist and FBM as basically the replacements for the old Autotraders magazine I used to pick up 25 years ago at 7-Eleven. No sales pitch to use BAT at all, it has it's place but it is not where I normally find car projects. If you are looking for car projects for cheap, FBM has basically taken over from where Craigslist was a few years ago in my opinion. I agree with @Marc_Toro on BAT as it has completely changed, but I would say that the lowest starting price is probably closer to $7,500 nonw.

I used FBM for about a year and I was only able to sell 2 items through that platform. I found the FBM users to be exceptionally stupid, their questions were usually answered by just reading the ads. One user cussed at me because he didn't like my price for a pair of Corvette cylinder heads. I have had great success with Craigslist. I found that if a user can form an intelligent, succinct inquiry; I will respond, otherwise I delete. BTW, the Corvette cylinder heads sold on Craigslist. The other selling platform I now use is Offer-Up, so far so good.

Oddly enough, I too find the Craigslist shopper more mature than the FBM shopper. No data to support this other than my personal experience with selling and buying on both. Also, the FB sellers are more prone to just not answering your queries.

It also might be what we are selling. Auto parts or project cars are of interest to specific buyers and Craigslist is sort of a no BS platform without instant messaging, where FBM makes it incredibly easy to post "is it still available" messages and other dumb stuff. Plus it gets a bunch of young people that think they can just jump in a 50 year old Fiat and use it like an old Honda.

Use OfferUp too. I've purchased some smokin' deals there, as well as sold more than a few items (flight sim stuff, audio gear, F430 car cover, etc.)

Watch out for the scam where they ask you to send a code to verify that you are real. they then use the code to change the password of your phone and take over your accounts. People have had their bank accounts drained that way.

Otherwise, advertise on both Facebook Marketplace and Craig's list at the same time. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you take the listings down when it sells.

I bought my Scorpion on BAT.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-lancia-scorpion-11/

I just had a FB/CL live test yesterday. I listed the same non-Fiat on both. FB showed 1,937 clicks in 6 hours. I was overrun by the typical clowns asking if it was still available. I had about 40+ messenger requests, 98% of which were ignored, but there were 3 very serious buyers and the car was gone within 13 hours after listing. The CL platform doesn't have stats, but in the same time period I had zero inquiries. I had a different outcome with another car that sat forever on FB and sold in a day on CL. So what's the big take-away? Drop your hook everywhere and hope there is someone, somewhere that takes the bait I guess.... For those that have never used FB, be aware that the number of time wasters, flakes, pen pals, scammers, trolls, and general assorted weirdos is exponentially higher (maybe 10X) than other commonly used selling venues. After you're done navigating through all the messenger drivel, you'll need a shower.

I just had a FB/CL live test yesterday. I listed the same non-Fiat on both. FB showed 1,937 clicks in 6 hours. I was overrun by the typical clowns asking if it was still available. I had about 40+ messenger requests, 98% of which were ignored, but there were 3 very serious buyers and the car was gone within 13 hours after listing. The CL platform doesn't have stats, but in the same time period I had zero inquiries. I had a different outcome with another car that sat forever on FB and sold in a day on CL. So what's the big take-away? Drop your hook everywhere and hope there is someone, somewhere that takes the bait I guess.... For those that have never used FB, be aware that the number of time wasters, flakes, pen pals, scammers, trolls, and general assorted weirdos is exponentially higher (maybe 10X) than other commonly used selling venues. After you're done navigating through all the messenger drivel, you'll need a shower.
Exactly the same response here: put a small, chest freezer up for sale on CL. Zero responses in two days.
Listed it verbatim on FB.
Had 65 responses, and it was gone in nine hours.
And yes, probably 65% of the FB questions/responses/demands (GIVE ME YOUR PHONE NUMBER!!!) were moronic.
Why people don’t use CL is a mystery.
Luckily for me, it’s why I got the WD X19 as opposed to some FB looney…

Our Suburban just towed it's final car home two weeks ago (non-Fiat) and the transmission started slipping at the last mountain coming into Frederick. So I decided to sell it cheap and pick another cheap truck to use for towing. Did not bother with CL, but listed it on FB and had it sold in less than 24 hours. Easily 80% of the responses were just plain stupid, everything from "can I drive it home" when the ad clearly stated the transmission issues, to stupid trade offers "would you take two canoes in trade"? But it found buyer quickly and I found an F150 to replace it on FB for cheap that I am fixing up now for tow duty.

FB may get better results, but it doesn’t have a killer track. I’d sell my ‘65 Chevy Malibu with custom paint job on CL…

dherr, having been to your house I can see parking the sub out at the street with a for sale sign on it would get not much results. I sold a first gen Honda CRV on Craigslist years ago and not realizing how crazy the market was for them the car was enquired about, test driven around the neighborhood and sold in less than an hour after the ad was posted.

Yeah, it would have been here for 6 months out in the lower lot with grass growing around it. Plus no offers to trade for two canoes....

Had a set of four, TSW 19" aluminum wheels for sale on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for nearly one year. Received about 10x as many responses from FB, and finally sold to a FB responder.

Back