FI thermostat housing ID

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
It's me again.

I am working on a 1981/82 (not sure) 1500 FI engine that is going into my 78. I have read a few threads regarding the temp sensor located in the thermostat housing on FI cars. I did not remove the 1500 from the donor car, so I am having some trouble figuring out where this FI temp sensor is. The shop manual has one poor picture that kinda points it out, but it really isn't clear to me. 99% of the pictures are for the carb housing.

Here is the thermostat housing I took off the block:
thermo1a.jpg

thermo2a.jpg

thermo1b.jpg

In the last picture I pointed out the tube I am guessing may be for the temp sensor?? That tube doesn't seem to be in the pictures for the carb housing.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Doesn't look like an FI 'stat housing, Jim. The temp sender screws into the housing on an FI car. That other outlet is probably for the choke on a carb car. No doubt someone with a better memory than mine can elaborate.

Thanks Mike and Dan

Thanks for the info guys. Especially the picture Dan, that shows me this housing is definitely "odd". I checked Midwest and ChrisO for pictures and came up empty.

I am beginning to wonder what I have here. Hopefully someone will weigh in with an answer regarding if the FI housing changed over the years.

:sigh:

OK, Who Broke the Board?

All of a sudden, IMG links to photobucket are not working, but URL clickable thumbnails are.

Mods make a change in allowable pic sizes?

Nevermind, now it's working again all by itself...

OK Chris

It is weird. Of course you never know what has happened to a car over 30 years unless you owned it from day 1.

I forgot to bring the hard start relay the other night and I guess I forgot to take the FI line home too. I wonder why?
beer.gif

OMG... what a dumb*ass

OK. Mystery solved. I am a freakin' dums*ss. :hrmph:

The thermostat housing in the pictures which I lovingly cleaned and painted is from the 1300 I am removing from the car. Apparently I took it off a few weeks ago to get the lift chains in place to pull the engine and I just tossed it in the pile of parts I was cleaning for the 1500 that is going into the car. :sigh:

I went through all the pictures I took while stripping the 1500 down and I could plainly see the temp sensor in this pic.
IM002529.jpg

So I went out to the garage and found the proper housing. I have some more cleaning to do. :hmm2:

As the title says "OMG... what a dumb*ss."

I wondered,,

how your car was able to run. When mine had a rusty connection on that sensor, it ran terrible and eventuallly wouldn't even start.,,,:dead:

Back