Fiat 850-Suzuki Engine Owner?

Jeff Stich

True Classic
Who is the Australian 850 owner here with the Fiat 850/Suzuki F10A-combo engined Sport Coupe? Is it Graham Bates (ramona300)? I found I have a few items that the late John Edwards (Costa Mesa R&D) made for this engine, as shown on pages 132-133 in his "Fiat 850 Racers Handbook". The photo caption in the book says they're camshaft front seal carriers, there are 4 (3 alloy + 1 Delrin), some with a "FIAZUKI" script milled into them, as shown below.

Free for the cost of shipping, otherwise they'll be tossed in the recycling bin. ;)

fiazuki1.jpg fiazuki2.jpg fiazuki3.jpg fiazuki4.jpg

Wouldn't it be nice of a efficient cross-flow head from some other vehicle could be swapped onto the 1500 SOHC engine? :)

Who is the Australian 850 owner here with the Fiat 850/Suzuki F10A-combo engined Sport Coupe? Is it Graham Bates (ramona300)? I found I have a few items that the late John Edwards (Costa Mesa R&D) made for this engine, as shown on pages 132-133 in his "Fiat 850 Racers Handbook". The photo caption in the book says they're camshaft front seal carriers, there are 4 (3 alloy + 1 Delrin), some with a "FIAZUKI" script milled into them, as shown below.

Free for the cost of shipping, otherwise they'll be tossed in the recycling bin. ;)

View attachment 54864 View attachment 54865 View attachment 54866 View attachment 54867
I will certainly take them thanks Jeff. Even if it's just a momento from John Edwards who I did converse with about the Suzuki heads. They were not sold in the USA but were here. Later I realized that they were readily available brand new from China for $100. My engine is still under construction. Thursday I dropped the block off at the machine shop to have the bores done to take the Suzuki pistons [65.5mm] and 1.5mm off the deck. I'm using a 843 block and Suzuki conrods. The crankshaft has been ground down and offset for the smaller conrod big ends, the capacity will be about 950cc. I'm just about to do a whole lot of welding on the Suzuki head and intake manifold.

Ha ha, I guess I should have added "and is readily available at a reasonable price, like a common production head" to the description. :D
There is one, from Fiat. Twin cams and all.

Though you do have to get the related block to go with it :)

It does bolt up to the X transmission.

Last edited:
Ha ha, I guess I should have added "and is readily available at a reasonable price, like a common production head" to the description. :D
The Suzuki head is readily available from China for roughly $100 bare. I bought a secondhand engine though. New pistons from Taiwan were $100 a set. and the quality is outstanding.

The Suzuki head is readily available from China for roughly $100 bare. I bought a secondhand engine though. New pistons from Taiwan were $100 a set. and the quality is outstanding.
That's what I meant when I said something like that, but for the X1/9 1500 engine. Or something else that was common in the US so we could find them cheaply on CraigsList, etc. ;) Sorry to get away from the 850 engines, but the lack of good alternatives to decently upgrade the 1500 SOHC like this is why things like Honda swaps are so popular. If a decent Fiat powertrain like the reference @kmead made was available here then I think we would see less Hondas in Xs.

Back