First Car Show '10

petex19

True Classic
I attended my first Car show of the season. It was non-competitive but it was nice to shine it up and share it.

Binbrook Ontario, Canada
Unfortunately the only other Italian Car was a classis Fiat 500 which the kids loved. Lots of Beautiful Muscle Cars and custom street rods.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

URL=http://img12.imageshack.us/i/p5020367.jpg/]
p5020367.jpg
[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack
[URL="http://img338.imageshack.us/i/p5010323.jpg/"]

'PeteX1/9

Last edited:
Soooo Peter... If I get this right...

... your rear trunk has essentially become an AIR BOX for the carbs!

HAHAHA!

I think the only thing that kinda fails me is the gridwork between the engine compartment and the trunk. You have cool air ducted in from somewhere (side vents? from under the car?) and then the hot air from the engine bay is allowed in through the grid work.

There are probably 1000 other ways to do this but I think the first thing ya should "fix" is not allowinghe warm air in form the engine bay.

Love all the BLING though... hadta reboot my computer after viewing to give my old PIXELS a chance to recover... HA!

Thanks for sharing...

Awesome X. What car is that in Orange in that one picture? Is that a Austin Mini?

Yes they both are...

My dad's neighbour has two of them. An orange one that is RHD and factory automatic if you can believe it and the white one can be seen in the photo aswell which is north american spec and is LHD and 4 speed. They are Mini 1000's and I parked beside them just to see how small our X's really are even compared to such a small car as a Mini.

'PeteX1/9

Just to expand on Pete's info ....

The orange mini is a Clubman model and the white car is a Traveller. With wood applique fitted the white car would be a Countryman. (Woody in Stateside parlance).

The mini was optioned with a Borg-Warner slush box and was never really popular due to the amount of power absorbed by the trans from a low output 4-pot.

My older brother had an MSD (Motor Sport Developments) Cooper-engined minivan (Traveller without rear side windows) with which he terrorised the early commuters into and from his job in south Manchester, dropping me off at school, high on the morning's exploits.

Pete, your car looks great

Could you give us a short inventory list of what is there under the engine lid?
Lots of things I couldn't recognize.

That's funny....

That's funny because I feel the same sense of unfamiliarity when I look at a F.I X1/9 as I have never owned one.

My engine is really quite simple but I understand how things could be difficult to recognize in a photo.

From left to right...
- You can't really see the Carter electric fuel pump but from there the fuel hose goes to a high flow fuel filter (Chromed red top) and then you follow the fuel path to an adjustable (0-5 psi.) fuel pressure regulator then the fuel hose goes to a single in and dual out fuel block with a fuel pressure gauge mounted on it. The fuel hoses go to a pair of Weber 45DCOE side draft Carburators with 6" Chromed velocity stacks.

- All the Chromed linkage is for the carbs. The black shiny thingy inserted into the hose is an inline blower motor which is connected to a toggle switch inside the car and is mounted inside that neoprine fire resistant hose that runs from the side scoop to the rear trunk for sending cool air to the carbs especially when sitting still in traffic.

-The Red Chromed timing belt cover is exactly that.

-The braided hose you see running along the back of the engine bay is connected to the crank case breather and has a K&N filter on the end of it.

- You can see my new pollished stainless coolant bottle.

- I have hood pins holding the engine cover down because I had to remove the hood latch since the carbs go into the rear trunk.

- I have a neoprine hose connected to the side vent on the right side but it is not connected to a blower motor yet.

Well that's it on the surface anyways....

Uploaded with

'PeteX1/9

Where did you get your fuel line hardware?

Where I've been looking, that stuff is crazy expensive. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. Your engine bay looks GREAT!!

It is crazy expensive....

Between the stainless braided fuel hose and all the AN fittings with the fuel block I spent over $300.00 and that was cheap compared to trying to buy it locally in Canada. I bought it all from www.jegs.com
but there are many places that have comparable pricing.

Most of the fittings weren't that expensive, under $20 each but the ones that are different like the banjo fittings for the carbs are crazy expensive and the fitting that does a 180' bend that goes from my fuel filter to the electric fuel pump is expensive aswell. The fuel block is also costly and the fuel hose itself sells by the foot.

The stuff isn't cheap but it will last forever. My fuel pressure gauge is only a Mr.Gasket and cheap in quality. I would like to get a better one someday like an Autometer liquid filled one.:)

'PeteX1/9

Phenomenol ride....

The car rides amazing with my adjustable coilovers on all four corners and my front swaybar make for a great ride. I have it lowered as low as I can safely and with my sticky Yokohama tires it holds the road like its on rails.

I can cruise at 140 km/h with zero movement in the steering wheel. I'm very happy with it.

'PeteX1/9

That's funny because I feel the same sense of unfamiliarity when I look at a F.I X1/9 as I have never owned one.

My engine is really quite simple but I understand how things could be difficult to recognize in a photo.

From left to right...
- You can't really see the Carter electric fuel pump but from there the fuel hose goes to a high flow fuel filter (Chromed red top) and then you follow the fuel path to an adjustable (0-5 psi.) fuel pressure regulator then the fuel hose goes to a single in and dual out fuel block with a fuel pressure gauge mounted on it. The fuel hoses go to a pair of Weber 45DCOE side draft Carburators with 6" Chromed velocity stacks.

- All the Chromed linkage is for the carbs. The black shiny thingy inserted into the hose is an inline blower motor which is connected to a toggle switch inside the car and is mounted inside that neoprine fire resistant hose that runs from the side scoop to the rear trunk for sending cool air to the carbs especially when sitting still in traffic.

-The Red Chromed timing belt cover is exactly that.

-The braided hose you see running along the back of the engine bay is connected to the crank case breather and has a K&N filter on the end of it.

- You can see my new pollished stainless coolant bottle.

- I have hood pins holding the engine cover down because I had to remove the hood latch since the carbs go into the rear trunk.

- I have a neoprine hose connected to the side vent on the right side but it is not connected to a blower motor yet.

Well that's it on the surface anyways....

http://img64.imageshack.us/i/p5020370.jpg/
Uploaded with http://imageshack</p><p>[URL=http://img7.imageshack.us/i/p5020368g.jpg/

'PeteX1/9

Peter,

Everything looks good and very clear. I was looking for the FP myself and just figured it was below the filter or something :)

No engine cover interference with the f-lines to the fp guage-carbs huh?

-Tim

Back