Fitting wheels on an X1/9

abec

Wil
I want to put together a chart for people (including myself) who are looking for aftermarket wheels, but do not know what will fit on an X.

Things like proper off set for wheels, and proper tire size for wheels.

So if your running aftermarket wheels, post up your wheel size, width, offset, backspace, if you run a spacer what size, and what size tire you have.

We can start getting a good collection of data that Ill try to keep updated.

hi abec ,

this is a good idea , personal I will be looking for new wheels/ tyres
down the track ( mouths away ) and it would be good to see what you can fit ! the more data better it will be ! , on mine at the moment is the original mags from 1978 ( 165/70r13 - 155/70r13 )
why did fiat put smaller one's on the front ?

thanks Phil

abec ,

you are right , looked up spec's in book front and back should be 165/70 sr 13 with a wheel type aluminium alloy 5j x 13 :thumbsup:

thanks Phil

well im not home right now, but i did some calculations and found a website with all the stock rims listed w/ offsets. Stock 5.5's have a 25 offset. When I get home and if i find the calculations ill post them up.

Hi Guys,this has been discussed here many,many times...

see if you can do a search on Xweb 01 or here in the new Xbweb.There`s almost nothing here in the USA market sold as a new wheel in 4x98,used ones you need to keep eyes open for fast action and willing to open your pockets for the right ones .In Europe there`s a lot to choose from but most of these wheels come from FWD Fiats.So do your math with spacers and offsets and if shipping is not an issue go search Ebay in europe.
But if willing to go the spacer/adapter way,there`s plenty in 4x100 to choose from here.But same as above,do your math with adapters thichkness and wheel offsets as many of this 4x100 are for FWD cars,some not.If going this way have a reputable place build your spacers/adapters in a responsible way,being it that the spacer/adapter is both wheelcentric and hubcentric for safety issues and peace of mind.I may have an incomplete set of 3 Shelby(panasport style) for sale very soon.I`m gonna be trying to get the 4th wheel soon in order to have a full set.So stay tuned,............:nod:

Chart info

Will this chart also include the names of any manufacturers who currently still make X1/9 compatible wheels and the part numbers?

currently running

CD92 (cromodoras) I think
5J - 13"

hankook Ventus RSS (race application)
185-60/13
I love them. Can't find them anymore.

Will this chart also include the names of any manufacturers who currently still make X1/9 compatible wheels and the part numbers?

What I had in mind was just a size chart that lists widths and offsets, not actual wheels made.

This would be for those looking for a more custom wheel, adapting a 4x100 wheel, or for sizing spacers to push wheels out more.

I found the rim I want now I just have to make sure that the rim will fit with the offsets that its offered in. Though am having trouble finding what widths and offsets people are able to fit properly on an X.

I did some calculating with 7" and 7.5" width. I sized my offsets to keep the back of the wheel roughly stock and push the outside closer to the fender, with out going past it. These are not tested, and are just estimates for what would work.

Stock:
5.5" +25 +/-0mm outside +/-0mm inside.

7"-7.5"

7" +10 will net +35.01mm (~1.4") outside, and +4.05mm inside. This should fit both inside and outside.

7.5 +0 will net +50.36mm (~2") outside and +0.4mm inside. This may rub or poke out of the outside, but would be fine on the inside.

When I get my car from the shop I will measure the clearance that the stock wheel has left before poking outside of the fender. I am also unsure of what size tires would be needed for either application.

Last edited:
I've got a set of 13x7 OZ basketweaves. They're 4x98 and hubcentric to X1/9s. I'm currently running 175/50 in the front and 185/60 sumitomos in the rear (IIRC)

They were made in 1983 and are no longer in production.

a1e8f644.jpg

I've got a set of 13x7 OZ basketweaves. They're 4x98 and hubcentric to X1/9s. I'm currently running 175/50 in the front and 185/60 sumitomos in the rear (IIRC)

They were made in 1983 and are no longer in production.

a1e8f644.jpg

whats the offset?

When does Hubcentric matter ? When doesn't it ?

Couple sets of wheels out there, some on Matt's site, some here that are NOT hubcentric but sharp looking.

Can someone explain when this is important and when it doesn't matter ? Is it safe to use non-hubcentric wheels ?

How do you know if the wheels will work on an X and what the spacers, offset, etc is supposed to be ?

thanks, Jeff

Hub centric matters

"Proper" wheels for the X1/9 will be hub centric. The car was designed to use hub centric wheels located by conical lug bolts. This combination of proper center hole size and coned lug bolts keeps the wheel centered on the hub.

Having said that, lot of folks use wheels that are not hub centric. It just requires a little extra care when mounting the wheels to be sure you get them centered so they don't shimmy. Some wheel manufacturers provide centering rings to fill the gap between the hub and the inner rim of the mounting hole in the wheel. IIRC, the BWA Racers are an example of modern wheels come with these spacers.

Here is a pic of a stock steel wheel mounted on the X hub. Notice the tight fit between the center hole in the wheel and the mouniting lip on the hub.

Here is a wheel you will probably recognize from Matt's site. It is not hub centric and has a pretty large center hole.

Pappa Tony and Dayton Tom both use these wheels on their Xs. I believe both have converted to wheel studs instead of lug bolts. I am not sure if either has has hub centric spacers.

Here is a picture of a paper cut out that I made. The white paper circle shows the size of the mounting lip on the hub. Notice how much extra space exists when matched up to the center hole in the wheel.

In a nutshell: I prefer hub centric wheels, but there is no reason that non hub centric wheels can't be used successfully. A little extra care when mounting and you should be good to go.

I won't try to tell you what wheels will work or how you can tell. I am not a wheel expert. I tend to stick to "known" wheels so I don't have to worry about that kind of stuff. In other words, I am not smart enough to figure it all out. :(

Back