Fixed headlights

abec

Wil
I am looking to run fixed headlights, much like those of the protipo.

abarthxpg3zq6.jpg

Does anyone have any examples of this being done on a more stock X? Maybe done with little or no cutting?

*found this w/ google*
I think something like this is what I am looking for anyone know whos this is?
100_3734.jpg

Last edited:
The green car is Mark Plaia's...

... who bought it from Wayne Wright. Perhaps one of them could chime in.:whistle:

I did two headlight mods

One was a fixed system that used a 3" X 5" bulb and the other was a 2" X 4" bulb in a bucket that opened only 3".

The fixed system is on my 79' and the other is on the lime green car shown in the photo. The fixed system is shown below:

FiatFront.jpg

If you want I can describe both.

Wayne

Headlights

Fixed Version. Went to a wrecker and bought a headlight assembly from an early Mustang. Really doesn't matter which car you choose, just so it has a setup that mounts two 3" X 5" square head lights--lots of cars have them. The headlight unit I got was plastic and came with a Hi/Lo beam bulb and a Hi beam bulb. All I did was saw the housing in two and mounted another Hi/Lo beam bulb. Then I removed the Fiat bucket and cut away some Fiat along with trimming away some of the headlight frame. Once I got it all aligned I fiberglassed the headlight assembly in place. With the bucket gone it needed something to cover the top of the light. I bent up a piece of sheet metal with just the correct shape to give me what I thought would be the best looking lines. The sheet metal is just screwed in place. I initially had plans for a plastic cover, but haven't got to it yet--I just can't come up with a design that looks factory, so it is just open

Short Lift Bucket: This was done on a 1300 car, but I think it can be done on a 1500 car. A 1500 car has bigger motor and heavier arm. The first thing I did was shorten the arm that is attached to the motor as short as I could make it--just sawed and welded. Then reassembled the bucket with the motor arm attached, and adjusted the linkage so when the bucket is down it is closed correctly. Now when you turn the headlight on, the bucket comes up about 3".

Went to a wrecker and checked out the GM cars that had those small 2" X 4" square head lights. These lights are either Hi beam or Lo beam. So with this setup, you only have a low beam under the bucket. Requires a 'Driving' light mounted someplace else. The setup I did had the low beams come on for 'low' and all lights come on for 'high'. Some Pontiacs have these lights, I think I got my lights from a GEO Metro, or some small GM car. Again, just needed a light bucket from one side. The bucket assembly cane from a newer car and had little bubble levels at each bulb---probably part of the headlight alignment procedure.

Sawed the headlight assembly in two. Took my trusty grinder and ground away parts of the Fiat bucket and trimmed the headlight assembly. Was very trickey to get the light assembly aligned with the bucket at it's 3" open setting, but when I was satisfied, I just JBWelded the light assembly to the bucket.

When the bucket is down or up it needs to set against rubber bumpers. I then fabricated bracketry to hold the bumpers--not easy to do--and I am unable to describe what I did.

Hope this help's
Wayne

Ok I think I know what im going to do, I got a set of 6x4 headlights.

headlights.jpg

I think im shooting for something like that. I need lenses for the turn signals though as my friend lost the lenses :(

Back