Fixed Triangular Door Windows and AirFlow

ward00

True Classic
Are the triangular door windows fixed in all years of the Scorpion. Last time we had a 100 degree heat wave here in California I almost had heat stroke. Cooling air flow in the Scorpion is almost non existent. Has anyone converted their fixed windows to the movable wing windows like on the convertible spider that allows to direct airflow into the car?

Last edited:
Are the triangular door windows fixed in all years of the Scorpion. Last time we had a 100 degree heat wave here in California I almost had heat stroke. Cooling air flow in the Scorpion is almost non existent. Has anyone converted their fixed windows to the movable wing windows on the convertible spider that allows to direct airflow into the car?
I think this is why Scorpions had that 'sunroof' convertible top. The thinking was, "who needs AC in a convertible?"

I'm glad that it seems as if my car ('76) has very good air flow with the windows down (with fixed "vent" windows}. And not much buffeting too. But, I would really like to get the AC working!

Last edited:
I have the sunroooh. It doesn't direct any air into the car, unfortunately.
There are a few variations on this theme available:

There are a few variations on this theme available:

I'm going to give the Miata vent a try. Thanks

Let's face it, in a very hot day, like 100 degrees, you are not going to be comfortable regardless of air flow. My 128 sedan had openable vent windows but oddly enough the air flow past the windshield was away from the vent windows and even at fully open no air came in. My 124 spiders had very effective vent windows but all you were getting on really hot days was very hot air blowing on you. On my motorcycle work commutes, anything over upper 80s and it just felt like being in front of a blast furnace.

Point I'm making is air flowing on you may not solve the problem of driving on a very hot day.

Let's face it, in a very hot day, like 100 degrees, you are not going to be comfortable regardless of air flow. My 128 sedan had openable vent windows but oddly enough the air flow past the windshield was away from the vent windows and even at fully open no air came in. My 124 spiders had very effective vent windows but all you were getting on really hot days was very hot air blowing on you. On my motorcycle work commutes, anything over upper 80s and it just felt like being in front of a blast furnace.

Point I'm making is air flowing on you may not solve the problem of driving on a very hot day.
My spider is at least livable on the same hot days (assuming the car is moving). Having the rear of the passenger compartment open and not blocked by a have a fixed window may also help. My theory is that something is better than nothing. The Miata vent thing will probably be that something.

Last edited:
I have the sunroooh. It doesn't direct any air into the car, unfortunately.
I think that is what really surprised me when I first drove my red 76. With the top open and the windows rolled up, there was almost no buffeting or wind at all. Day was coolish (50's) but I was comfortable inside driving that day last fall. I assume with the windows down, there is much more airflow, but can see your point. I bet if the car had been further developed, opening vent windows would have been a likely update. If I end up going with a Busso V6 in my white car, it will likely a working AC system, now that I have experience with Vintage Air systems.

I bet if the car had been further developed, opening vent windows would have been a likely update.
Don't know how that would have worked with the series 2 vent glass sideview mirrors.

Now that I have experience with Rally Conditioning (wearing fireproof Nomex head to toe, a helmet, windows must be closed on special stages or get 10 minute penalty, turbo and exhaust up against firewall and floors without insulation providing additional radiant heat,...) being in any open car in shorts and TShirt is comfortable.

85B78B9C-4A31-468C-AA7F-3BA12BCEAD60.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm going to give the Miata vent a try. Thanks
in my Fiata the a/c works great to fix that. But in the scorpion, thats a whole different story. not going to put ac in the scorpion. It weighs too much!

Back