Fly wheel help

mike3487

1980 X
I had an issue with my engine so I am taking a stock short-block and putting all my parts onto it than dropping it in my car, my issue arises in that i do not know how to put the flywheel on i know that it has two possible positions 180 and 0 i have the engine at top dead center but how do i know which orientation to put the fly wheel on from what i can see there are no marks except a tiny drill indent, any help would be greatly appreciated after i get this resolved i should be able to have the car running in a week, ordered some nuts from Matt that were missing than every thing can go back in,
Thanks

Put #1 and #4 cylinders at TDC...

... and then the flywheel goes on with the timing mark (yep, just that little indent) up.

I fill the little indent with white enamel, let it dry completely, before I install the flywheel. Makes it way easier to see the timing mark after the motor is in the car.

Timing

The timing mark on the flywheel will obviously always indicate Top Dead Centre for the Numbers 1 & 4 Cylinders.

The important thing to remember here, is....if the Cylinder Head is not installed...then this is all the Flywheel Mark indicates.

Now.....IF the Cylinder Head is installed as well as the Timing Belt.....then you have to ensure the Camshaft Timing Mark is aligned as well when the Flywheel Mark is at 0°TDC.

If the Camshaft Timing Mark isn't aligned, your engine will not run.....or run VERY poorly.

I hope this is clearly presented. I was an Apprentice Auto Mechanic for 2 years and after having this info "drilled" into our brains a few times, it just comes naturally. This learning I did after retiring from the Canadian Air Force (27 Years) as a Jet Engine Mechanic.

Jet Engines are so simple.....Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow....and the jet moves forward!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

My experience base is quite large in as such as any type of cars go, but I'm learning so much X info here....keep up the great work guys.

Cheers.

Back