For the Fiat 850 guys...apologies to those that don't care :)

Jim McKenzie

1972 850 Spider
Some new photos of my Spider restoral here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nagasakee/

There are several photo sets there, including a couple of my X1/9's I've owned.

Next week starts the final painting, then comes the fun rebuild part. The final paint starts going on the car NEXT WEEK! My goal...to be driving it by Christmas :) three linkies in case you don't want to see the whole 100 image set...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nagasakee/5167446300/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nagasakee/5167444922/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nagasakee/5167445742/sizes/l/in/photostream/

I intend it to be painted exactly like my X, ( see there's SOME X content :) )same as the sig picture below.

Last edited:
Lookin' good so far, but...

I noticed in this photo that the passenger-side front hood hinge is missing. You might want to get that welded back onto the car before painting begins? Also check the alignment of the hood at that front corner (looks to be a slight upward bend of the channel next to where that hinge is supposed to be, compared to the other side).

5167445742_d6116ebd5f_z.jpg

Also, have them pull out the rubber doughnut (for the smog evap tube) in the upper right corner of the firewall (above the radiator well) before painting begins (looks like they primered right over it already). You can see it in this photo:

5166845397_6732a76f25_z.jpg

thanks Jeff

missed the firewall donut, you are right. The other hinge is actually attached to the trunk lid...why they left one on the car and the other on the hood = ???

missed the firewall donut, you are right. The other hinge is actually attached to the trunk lid...why they left one on the car and the other on the hood = ???

Problem is the hinges are welded to the body and bolted to the hood. Maybe the pin was hard to remove or the nuts were rusted to the studs. Either way it will need some welding.

I think there are plenty of 850 fans about, keep posting.

Lots of nice work there. Looks like it gained some weight underneath with the "asterisk" members, but I think that was a good choice.

Will it return to its original orange or will there be a color change?

WOW Jim... great work!

I think we're BIG ENOUGH here and you have proven yourself MORE than worthy to post stuff like this...

I, like MANY here, are interested in many facets of cars and the good folks like you that care enough to preserve them, whatever they might be. I make no apologies for my Vette either...

Thanks for posting and please feel free to continue to amaze us!

missed the firewall donut, you are right.

Also missed a couple of the rubber mat hold-down plugs in the front trunk: #1 is on the passenger-side upper firewall, just ahead of the spot for the wiper motor. #2 is on the driver-side at the base of the upper firewall. :wink2:

The other hinge is actually attached to the trunk lid...why they left one on the car and the other on the hood = ???

It looks like the hinge mounting area on the body was rusted-out, & the hinge was probably torn right off the body (which would explain that small hole there). The missing hinge needs to be re-welded onto the car body, & the hood needs to be aligned properly before painting. At the very minimum, you can weld just the lower half of the hinge onto the body (you can leave the upper part of the hinge still bolted/screwed to the underside of the hood), just remove the center pin that holds the two halves together. There's a C-clip retainer on one end of the center pin - remove the clip & then tap the pin out of the hinge. :hammer:

It also looks like you're missing one of the small metal tabs that holds the end of one of the rubber mounting straps for the tire jack. Front trunk, driver-side, lower firewall (front wall of battery box) - the lower tab is missing. You can see the upper/lower tabs on the passenger-side, but only the upper tab on the driver-side. Another small item to weld in place before painting...sorry. LOL.

Last edited:
Fiat 850 welcome here...

This looks like it is going to be a great project. I enjoy seeing these projects and after all, the X1/9 is a second generation 850 Spider. THey also share the same coach builder so bring them on. Jeff S. is a wealth of rear engine information.

Good luck!

Awesome project Jim! Love the pictures of all the metal work.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one in person some day once it's done.

-Mike

Jeff

I spoke with body shop/painter today and he wanted me to thank you for noticing the front trunk hinge.

He said he missed it too (I did!) and was very happy I mentioned it before painting (which started today).

The welding was finished this afternoon and they've started making her yellow. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Another 850 fan here

No apologies needed, Jim --- it is perfectly OK to own and enjoy both an X1/9 and an 850 Spider. I've got one of each and love 'em equally (sort of like my kids, I love them all and don't have a favorite).

Good luck with the project, should be really nice when it's done.

Dave Spiegelthal
Centreville, VA

'71 Fiat 850 Spider
'77 Fiat X1/9
'77 Lancia Beta HPE

Indeed it is more than ok to have more than one kind of Fiat, I have all three primary families of engine and drive versions. No front drivers (anymore, I did have a 128 years ago).

There just aren't enough of us (850 owners) to really sustain a web presence it seems.

Nice work, thanks for bringing her back.

Back