Found this in my Spam-Box...

Tan-coloured upholstery.

..... but I highly doubt the tan upholstery is. Usually it was black... but the tan really is a beautiful upgrade.

Yep, Tony, when the paint colour changed to that deep maroon (1956, I think), the tan seat trim was introduced at the same time. This new colour scheme on the 4G models (also Red Hunter 650 twins) was such an improvement over the previous Ariel green (a lightish green which looked kinda plain) with black seat material, it made these new models almost look 10 years more modern than the superceded model.
This all happened when Triumph, the Brit bike market leader by miles, changed from a maroon-reddish colour to a gold/bronze colour on the Thunderbird 650's (absolutely beautiful) and a dazzling metallic blue on the Tiger 100/110 models.
In my opinion, it was Ariel's attempt at keeping up with the market, but Triumph (and Norton Dominator) just swept up the market, and Ariel kinda faded away.
Shame, because Ariels,IMHO, had a 'classier' look to them.

Ahhh, all this talk brings back great memories of 2-wheeler experiences as a young buck!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Yep, yep, yep...

Most ALL bikes seemed to have black saddles back in the day... and as for an Ariel, I only remember seeing THREE in my lifetime on the road here. All had either dark or black saddles...

I did a lot of riding on a Triumph 500 back in '66 or so and around 1969 I got "sceered" on a 650 Bonneville with Sharon astride behind me... and I never rode again. Probably a good thing...

I'm sure glad I can get about the same thrill outta driving four wheels nowadays... I'll leave the youngsters (that heal faster) to the bikes...

Laurie, sidecars seemed to be...............!

.............almost a peculiarity to the UK motorcycle market. Maybe it was something to do with cheaper vehicle registration i.e. motorcycle combination v. small car?
Here in NZ, sidecars had a limited period of popularity around the late '50's-early '60's when some of the more popular Brit bikes became available with higher-powered engines suited to sidecar adaptation, e.g. Ariel Square Four, Royal Enfield 750 twin, Norton Commando, etc.
But I think the potential buyers of these bike/sidecar combinations soon changed to 4 wheels when the Austin/Morris Mini hit the market around 1959 - just as economic to own one of these 'babies' as a large bike/sidecar combination!
Didn't have the same "power-under-ya-bum" feel as a big bike tho!! :love:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Ian... Just got a British Book today...

... a late Christmas present from Sharon... entitled "50 Cars That Changed the World" and it stated exactly what you said!

Specifically the Austin 7... and... included was the 1999 Fiat Multipla!

HA!

Back