front grill possibilities

autox19

True Classic
with all the pictures of "bumperless" X's. I think I might venture that way. I was wondering has anyone ever used anything to fab up something that would work instead of the Unobtainium '74 grill?

Odie

good question

custom, manual made grill.
that is what i am going to do , to be able to use the early bumper i buyed last year .

waiting for better option ...if any

I went bumperless...

...the 74 grill isn't necessary. Any grille up to at least 75-76 (maybe even 77-78?) will work, as well. Mine was from a 76. It has the cutouts needed to fit correctly. Too bright outside to get a good pic, but I am certain somebody here has a pic of their conversion. The 74 grille doesn't have the cutouts, and I am not even certain how those fit correctly.

custom

I guess I was thinking more of if anyone created one from scratch. but you are right I could look at the other years.

Odie

A LOT more pre-79 grilles...

....than just 74's......I have seen several decent grilles just in the last few months. Keep eyes peeled on Craigslist and eBay.

Are you going to remove the strut tube mounts?

with all the pictures of "bumperless" X's. I think I might venture that way. I was wondering has anyone ever used anything to fab up something that would work instead of the Unobtainium '74 grill?

Odie

Hi Odie,

Are you going to remove the strut tube mounts? Unless you have a 74, the structural mounts for the strut tubes will need to be removed or covered somehow. So barring the extra work to remove those mounts, you can use a 75-78 bumper and figure out a "decorative" treatment for the mounts. I have seen one or two examples of folks putting lights into the remaining mounts.

Here is an example of what I am talking about, note the lights in the front tubes.
4xx3hm.jpg

It really isn't too bad, and notice that the rear mounts don't really stand out that much. At least they aren't the first thing you notice on this X. ;)
normal_X14x4.jpg

Sorry. I couldn't find my pics of GS' gold X that went bumperless.

Covering the bumper strut mounts or not will determine what grill you need. That being said, if you're interested in a 74' unobtanium grill. I have a minty one!

Too much work to...

...'click' it. Size it nicely the first time. Greg was able to! :)

Is it Christmas in St. Louis?

Deer

after seeing that, I am wondering about making those "deer whistles".... or maybe some kind of horn that plays with the wind going in. put a turbo behind it and then I get ricer turbo whine!

Odie

CUSTOM ROUTE

I'm making my '86 look more "pure". I installed half of the older "aluminum ladder" bumpers. Basically I popped and compressed the bumper struts and bolted up the bumper. Madd Matt had some early turn signals which just bolt on.

But that leaves a gaping hole in the front. I made a chin spoiler from the lower grill opening of a '65 Mustang turned upside down. These are available new for cheap. Now I'm using sheet metal to fab up a "mouth" and I'll use some expanded steal for the grill behind the mouth. It's all bolt-on and completely reversible for the day when x1/9's become wildly valuable in original condition!!!

I'll try to firgure out how to post pictures.

Another KC owner?

Hello eflexter,

I am over in the St Louis area. There is another X owner in the KC area that posts here occasionally, I think his name is Karl.

Welcome to Xweb!!

It's great to be here! I've been playing with Fiats since my first one back in 1978 (an old 850 spider). I was 15 and not mechanical. That changed fast when my first broken water pump pulley shot through the hood (my own fault)!!

Anyway, these X1/9's are really GREAT, and so UNDERVALUED!!! Their worst problem is bad mechanics with big mouths and little experience.

It's nice to talk to people with GOOD TASTE!!

Back