Front springs question

cozzoi

George
Anybody knows the relation between the coil length to cut and the car height you get? (Based on the original front springs) My idea is to lower the car up to 1 inch

I've been assuming it's one coil - that's what I was counting on to drop the car to (almost) level F/R

Hopefully someone who's done it will chime in..

Well, it depends......

The best way to do it is to go about half a coil at a time until you get the "look" that you want. Best handling will be with the front about 1/4 inch higher than the rear. Others like the front slammed.

Every X and every set of springs are different. :sigh: So there is no formula per se. Cut and try.

So, it depends....

Ciao,

Hey George... Generally speaking...

The springs do NOT compress with the static weight of the car on them.

Generally speaking then... if you look at the END of the coil and cut the spring just above it... it will remove ONE INCH of height out of it.

Taper the bottom and then HEAT the side opposite from the cut and bend it up so that there is now a platform to sit properly in its saddle... and you lower the car 2 Inches.

See my post for cutting springs in Best Of.

For a one inch total drop... do as Mark suggests and cut ONE HALF coil, taper and bend for a 1 inch drop.

Thanks, Tony.

Not sure if I want to spend all that time on the strut insert mod, though. Have to see how I feel about it once I take mine apart. The idea of springs flapping in the breeze does not appeal, though.

I recently just got thru cutting the springs and strut shaft mod and honestly it's the only way to go. With the reduced strut length and spring end mod the springs will not fall out. Unfortuantely i lowered it before the Dallara kit and now it's too low :eek:mg: My 2nd set of springs are now at the correct height.

Well... First off...

I drove my car with cut down springs NOT fitted for about 10 years and they never flapped in the breeze. The ONE instance that caused a tire to be punctured I am (pretty damn) sure was because the spring was not centered when the car was lowered back down.

BUT... I would NEVER recommend anyone do this... and to take the 1 additional hour to preform the work necessary to modify the strut shaft and the second hour necessary to taper the spring end and heat it to fit the saddle properly.

Its what I shoulda done all along...

IF you're indeed in Hayward, CA... ya really need to meet...

... Glen Egan in San Jose...

I think you two would soon become good friends...

Last edited:
yeah Tony, i thought about meeting up with him. It's only about a 25 minute drive depending on where in San Jose. It's kinda spread out like L.A.

Yep... from what I have seen...

... he does some amazing work.

I haven't seen yours... but attempting a Dallara conversion takes some Chutzpa and skill and my hat is off to you. I'm sure you would both be GOOD for each other!

HA!

Back