FS: Insertable Headlight Harnesses

bbrown

Bob Brown
These were built for BFI but I never got a chance to show them.

I have 4 sets made, ready to go. These insert into your existing headlight wiring to protect your
headlight switch from burn-out and insure max voltage (and brightness) from your headlights. You
can also add high powered lamps without endangering your electrical system.

Installation requires a fused 12Ga wire from your + Battery to your pods. Crimp connections are
supplied with the harnesses. These assemblies take the hassle out of modifying your headlights
for higher brightness / power.

Price: $149 plus ship. ($7 USPS flat rate in USA, so total = $156)
Outside the USA please inquire for (actual) ship rates.

PM me if interested. Thank you. -Bob Brown
New_Insert_Headlight_Harness.jpg

Can these be used for fog lamps?

My car came with fog lamps but either because they were so old, or perhaps the lack of relays, they put out about as much light as 10 lightning bugs on full brightness.

I have another set of fog lights I'd like to install, but want them to do more than act as rock attractors.

Thanks,

Larry
'79 X1/9

Not really.

These were designed for the headlight pods. It would be a significant waste of money otherwise.
All you need for fog lights is a single 30A relay and a dash (console) switch.

That's something you can make up pretty easy and at low cost..

As my good friend Bob (Mr. Wizard) says...

and a few other comments.

1. All lamps get old and loose their brightness... so do the lenses.

2. Meguir's makes an excellent lens polish for about 1/2 the price of others out there (about $9 bucks at Harbor Freight) and I can attest it works very well. I tried other polishing compounds and it was hard work! I have NOT tried the more expensive products.

3. I digress a bit though... the BIGGEST problem we experience here with these cars are a LOW voltage issue due to the wiring and connectors used in manufacturing. The BEST resolution is to add relays. Bob makes the elite harnesses for headlights. There are others on Ebay that you could modify for the fog lights, but if you are gonna go to that much trouble, you might as well spend about 1/3 the money and build your own relay system.

PM me if you need more details... and BTW... MOST ALL auxiliary light manufacturer's SUPPLY relays with their new products with instructions to install. It might BEHOOVE you to replace them all for $20 bucks (55 watt system.) This would care for several issues as listed above!!!

LASTLY... if you install one of Bob's headlight harnesses... other than foggy days, you'll not need the auxiliary lighting!

I am not a long time member but I just installed one of these in my 1980 and is WELL worth the cost and effort. My headlights are as bright as a brand new car and no diming at idle. Thanks !!!

Insertable Headlight Harnesses

Great Tom! Glad you got it quickly. If you have any questions installing, just ask.

I have 3 sets left if anyone's interested.
Bob Brown

Another thumbs-up for Bob's design

I ended up building my own based on Bob's instructions....

My headlights are VERY bright. As bright (if not brighter) than any other modern vehicle I own. ...and no dimming at idle. I've always had them on my X since it was driveable so can't compare to NOT having them. However, from comments here it sounds like a stock and aging X can have some pretty dim headlights...

Unless you're really handy, have some time to research buying the components and assembling them, etc you're better off buying Bob's units. He uses top quality components and does a first-class job putting them together. From what I've seen available on eBay, these are much better and the wiring lengths etc are designed for our X's. For the time and quality he puts into them, they're a very "good deal."

Another testimonial

Bob's kit is so good, and so easy to install I could do it. One of the very best purchases I ever made for any X I've owned.

Hi Larry,

Thought I'd share...
Below is a diagram for safely adding fog lights to any car...pretty straightforward.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Gianni

Thanks.

My car came with fog lights but they were never that bright. The wires used were probably about 18-20 gauge. No relays were used although there is a dash mounted switch.

Larry

Back