Fuel guage in-opp.

mmudge

True Classic
I installed a new fuel pick up and float assembly but I can't get the needle on the dash to work. I removed the dash cluster today and with a small wire wheel on a dremel type tool, cleaned off all the male spades on the connectors and tightened up the female sides. I got my turn signal indicator back but still no fuel guage.

What am I missing here?

TIA,

Mudge

Testing the gauge

To test the gauge you pull each wire off the sender. When you ground one the light should come on and if you ground the other the gauge will read full. If you hook the wires up backwards on the sender it wont work either.

Test the gauge in the cluster

Look at this photo. Apply +12V on the red connector and Ground at white connector as indicated.

Applying a variable voltage (+12V to zero volts) to your "Fuel Sender" pin as shown below will make your gauge sweep from one side to the other.

Good luck with the test!

gaugeclusterpinout.jpg

Also...

Check the ground at the sender, it needs to have a ground wire at one of the studs.

Also, on the back of the cluster, clean and swap the washers under the gauge mounting nuts for brass. The steel washers corrode and lead to poor gauge readings for this and other gauges.

Gregory!!!!

I don't have a ground, just the two wires to the pickup. Guess I'll try a ground.

Oh yeah....and I don't have a tach either.

Mudge

It went okay, then good then

not so good. The motor was running well then it began to faulter and acted like it was running out of gas, died and won't start now. I have the Yugo elect ign & dizzy. Did I kill my module?

Can someone tell me exactly what wires should be on the coil and which post?

I have a spare module that I can install but I want to be sure all my connections are good before I mess up another one.

RAT FARTS!!!!

Back