Fuel tank refurb for my 86

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a good DIY fuel tank refurb story they could share?

With all the issues I had to go threw with my dirty injectors, replacing filters many times and now probably a clogging fp I want to fix the root of all these issues once and for all.

I have seen there is a por15 fuel tank kit and considering trying it but before I invest money and time was wondering what others have done with success.

Thanks,
Tim

My only story...

Is about when I had my 850 Spider. I pulled the tank and cleaned it with gravel. Rinsed many times, dried with a fan, sealed with aircraft tank sealer. Still have the "sloshing compound" sealer if you want it.

I also had issues with my Lancia Beta "Budget" Zagato, when I had fuel pump troubles. Turns out the fuel level sender was reading optimistically (my fault) and I was occasionally running it so low as to occasionally starve the pump. The pump is lubed and cooled by the fuel, so any time it sucks air it loses lifespan.

i had grand intentions to do mine ... bought the por15 and prep stuff and dove in. after poking at it at some length and discovering far more pin holes than I thought were possible, I realized it was somewhat beyond my known capabilities. so, rather than risk a fire at the worst possible moment, I farmed it out to a radiator shop. i was very pleased with the results.

jim

No radiator shops in my area would do it. Claimed their tanks were too small but I gave one tank dimensions and he thought it might, in the end, I did it all myself and it worked out fine. Pin holes are no problem the POR will seal it up, I did add a piece or two of fiberglass matt over a thin spot.

Back