Gearbox engagement

FiatFunk

True Classic
Hey guys and gals, so I just changed the clutch and throw out bearing (engine is out) and the gear selector only seems to have three positions (it worked in all gears before I took it out, didn't rebuild the trans) and none of them seem to engage the driveshaft flanges. I turn the drive shaft flanges by hand (they turn opposite ways) and there is only the slightest amount of movement on the transmission shaft.
Doesn't seem right. Any insight?
Thanks
Greg

Last edited:
If you turn one halfshaft, the other will turn the opposite way through the spider gears in the differential. It is not turning either the input or lay shaft in the transmission.

And I don't understand what you mean by only three positions. Can you give a more detailed description?

If you turn one halfshaft, the other will turn the opposite way through the spider gears in the differential. It is not turning either the input or lay shaft in the transmission.

And I don't understand what you mean by only three positions. Can you give a more detailed description?
So turning a half shaft while in gear won't turn the input shaft on the trans?
I bolted it up and turning the crank doesn't result in the half shafts turning.
The gear selector clicks into three positions when I pull/push on it, should be 5 and reverse? Maybe it just needs some sideways movement to engage other gears.

The differential is "open". So if you turn one axle, the other will rotate the opposite direction. It will not turn the internals or the engine.

The gear selector shaft that exits the transmission case does have three fore/aft positions. Those would be 3rd, Neutral, 4th. Rotating the shaft either direction will allow engagement of 1st - 2nd, and 5th - Reverse.

The differential is "open". So if you turn one axle, the other will rotate the opposite direction. It will not turn the internals or the engine.

The gear selector shaft that exits the transmission case does have three fore/aft positions. Those would be 3rd, Neutral, 4th. Rotating the shaft either direction will allow engagement of 1st - 2nd, and 5th - Reverse.
Oh great thank you! I'll keep stumbling towards the finish line.

Back