Gearbox speedo drive?

DazUK

Cheers Daz
Just replaced mine and the cable was seized in the drive gear/rod. The new one fits in loose, is this correct or are they supposed to be 'fixed' in place with anything.... it looks quite easy for the drive rod to just fall into the gearbox now that its not 'fused' together. Cant see any grooves for circlips etc.
Hate to see the speedo suddenly die at 80mph and wonder if its fell in :eek:
It pushed thru a plug with an 'O' ring which feels snug, and the Allen bolt has been screwed in to anchor it.... just concerned about that rod!!

it looks quite easy for the drive rod to just fall into the gearbox now that its not 'fused' together. Cant see any grooves for circlips etc.

It pushed thru a plug with an 'O' ring which feels snug, and the Allen bolt has been screwed in to anchor it.... just concerned about that rod!!

The Speedo drive is two pieces. The case insert is held in place by the Allen Screw which engages a locating hole in the inserts body. The speedo drive gear itself spins inside the case insert and is sealed with an O-ring.

The Speedo gear cannot fall out of the insert because it has a pin at ththe bottom that sits on a shelf inside the case under the case insert. The square cable end simply fits in the top of the drive gear and is held in place by the threaded cap on the end of the cable. The threaded cap holds the end of the cable sheath on the case insert and thus the square drive end of the cable in its reciever on the speedo drive gear.

There are no other clips, pins or retainer rings to locate the cable.

Cheers Steve thats what I needed to know, I did notice on the bottom of the rod that there is a small shiny 'worn' patch that looks like it is resting on something, but couldn't tell for definate :eek:

Shim it.

Have had the same problem. Cut some strips of .025" shimstock and inserted along side of the cable, bend and cut off the excess. Have not had problems for years.

TonyK,

Grimsby Ontario, Canada.

Back