Getting another X- quick questions..

anders

True Classic
Gents,

Waiting on the hauler to show up next week with my 85....

Couple Items- since the 185-60-13 are no longer around, what tires are best? Thinking the 175/70-13 Summo, or are there 195/60/13 out there to get, and if so will they fit on stock rims?

Next- Where can I get a lower temp thermostat than 180?

Finally- this girl seems to have AC- interested to get it working...not a major deal, but what are some of the most common issues with them? Just looking where to start.

Already stacking parts while she is in route...

Chris

A couple of answers:

If the cooling system is working properly it should be perfectly adequate, even in hot climates. A lower temperature thermostat should not be needed, and really isn't a good idea on an FI car.

Many times the AC systems on older cars are actually still fine, except that the refrigerant has escaped over the years. Check the compressor to ensure that it isn't locked up, replace the Schrader valves, pull a vacuum, and see if it holds. If the system seems tight then vacuum it for a really long time to remove as much moisture as possible and recharge the system with the original refrigerant. R-12 is still available and I recommend that over changing to a different refrigerant. (Note that you are legally required to have a license to work with R12)

HTH,

Yeah, but you can get a EPA 609 MVAC Certification online for like $20 and go crazy with R12 if you want. I have a friend who did this... I just went the Freeze12 route.

http://www.epatest.com/609/

I'd think the 180 degree thermostat would be fine too... it's not like the car runs a 195 degree thermostat to make the car run a little warm. (didn't some manufactures do that to help with emissions since a warmer engine tends to burn a little cleaner?)

I could be wrong but I think that the Sumi's aren't being produced anymore. Most if not all of your questions can be answered by a quick search in the archives. Its always a good idea to check their first and if you can't or are having trouble finding an answer we are most happy to try n help. GL & post some pics of the cars.

Installing a lower temp thermostat

may cause more problems than solutions. Papa Tony had a good writeup on this subject; it may be in the Best Of or on the old N54 forum. 195 is NORMAL operating temp. Our problem is keeping the car from going much over that! I replaced my stat with the unit from Matt as well as the lower temp fan switch. Once I purged the air out of the system, my car now cools better than ever.

pics

Thanks for the advice....will get the lower fan switch instead...

Here is a pic of the new 500 and one of the coming X that will be painted differently when I am done....and one of my last X- it is the Red/Charcoal one

Back