Going to the junk yard, need help fast!

Eastep

True Classic
So I'm gonna run to the yard today and grab the head off a Yugo. It was recommended to me to grab the distributor-less ignition as well. Unfortunately I have no clue what parts I'm looking to remove, and don't want to forget something. Also what is involved with removing the head? Is it as easy as loosen a few bolts, tap the head with a mallet and remove the top half of the motor? I am aware I'll have to remove the manifolds and carb. Are there any parts here I want to grab as well? Anything anyone here needs from a Yugo?

!

You can't change the distributor unless you grab all the other related electronics.

Make sure you de-torque the head bolts in order so you don't warp the head. Otherwise it should pop off pretty easy.

Maybe you can just buy the whole car?

what other electronics do I need? That was the basis for the question, I need a list of all the parts associated with that system that I'll need. I currently have a '78 with points system I'm looking to upgrade. As for the head, Im not even sure I'll use it and if I do it'll probably goto Matt before I install it, but for $25 I'm not gonna pass it up weather I use it or not is another story. Thanks for the reply though that was fast

You need...

The distributor, the coil, the resistor, the wiring harness, and the ECM module. The ECM module is an aluminum box about the size of a pack of cigarettes and the resistor is a big ceramic affair about the size of your finger with spade connectors on each end.

Find the coil, trace the wires from it. One of them will go the resistor and the other will go the connector on the ECM module. Grab the mounting brackets for the coil and ECM as well if you can - save you the trouble of fabricating your own.

Installing these bits in an X is really easy - just connect the wire from your ignition switch to the right wire in the Yugo harness, install the new coil and dizzy in place of the old one, and connect the ground, and you're done.

just to be clear we are talking about the "harness" that connects the pieces you've described and NOT the cars entire wiring harness correct?
Does anyone have pics of this stuff Ive never really been around a Yugo.

Yes, just the harness that connects the pieces

It'll have one big connector for the ECU, one little connector for the distributor, and a few stray leads for hooking up the coil, resistor, ground, +12 in from the switch, and a tachometer output).

Back