Got Lucky With Thrust Rings

halojm

True Classic
After reading the many posts of trashed cranks and engine blocks because of wiped out thrust rings, I was dreading digging deeper into the engine of my 1980 X. It had only 1 thrust ring that was barely doing anything (the other 1 had fallen off into the pan) and alot of crank movement evidenced by obvious contact between the crank and the block on the 1st and 2nd journals of the block.
MainBearingJournals1.jpg

However, after cleaning off and dressing the thrust rings that used to look like this
ThrustWasher.jpg

to look like this
ThrustRing.jpg

I measured both thrust rings and they are right at normal thickness of .092". As a matter of fact, the 1 thrust ring doesn't show any sign of ever being in contact with the crank. I checked the thrust ring bearing surfaces of the crank and, finding no wear, reinstalled the crank and measured end play of the crank. Surprisingly, it was dead on the minimum end play of .002" so it looks like I dodged the ruined crank/block bullet. It's off to the machine shop tomorrow to get the block decked.
Dave

BTW, when you reinstalled the crank...

BTW, when you reinstalled the crank, did you put the caps back on the way they had been, or the way the markings suggested that they were supposed to have been? Just curiosity on my part.

I put them back on in the correct order

They were more messed up than I thought, with every one of them in the wrong location (ie the unmarked cap should be at #1 and it was at #4 and the rest were mixed up in no particular order)
Dave

Back