Got my Barn Find out of 50 degree storage

Bobr

My Toy
Cranked it for about 5 seconds. Paused. Turned the key again and it fired and ideled at 1200...Yea! Smoked out the exhaust and it stopped after 10 min of ideling. Drove it home about 40 miles with no problems. I changed the bad stock struts with KYB's and IAP springs....Thinking I got the springs wrong. The front is higher than the rear. Its about the same as it was with stock except lower. I think the front and rear springs are reversed. Well anyway here is a vid of the first FUN RUN! :):):)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wna5YLJBhYg"]YouTube- 2010 first day of fun !.AVI[/ame]

Last edited:
The hill is about 12 degrees

The only mod I have done is a K&N airfilter. :):):):):) I do not what the PO has done to the engine.......

Bob...

I'm not familiar with the IAP springs or how they compare to stock... but other than the compression needed to install STOCK springs on the struts... they USUALLY do not compress any more when the car is sat down on them.

I say this... because you can then estimate what the height will be, or how much you may want to cut from them... to lower the car.

I'll include my last link that also has old Les' mod to the strut rods and suggest you may want to do the same. Again... this is using STOCK springs and I must say, achieving EXCELLENT results both in LOOKS and HANDLING.

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?posts/36703/

Oh... in this case, as kinda shown in Les' photo, I cut exactly ONE full coil, which reduced the coil height and ride height ONE inch, and then heated and bent the spring to fit the strut socket, which lowered it another inch, for a full TWO inches in ride height reduction. I believe I also ground down the newly cut end a bit also to taper it and insure it was FLAT in the strut socket.

Lastly... if yur gonna take the time to do this again, I highly recommend you install some PLAIA PIVOTS in place of the phenolic washers... a bit pricey but worth it, They can be had from C.Obert and Co.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to tell since the struts were bad

The car does ride and corner much better. Seems stiffer and much smoother. Less body roll too. How much is due to the KYB's I'm not sure. Still a BLAST to run! I feel alot more confident to push the car a lot more.

Yep My son was shaking the camcorder

under full throttle (45 to 75).....He is an artsy and creative young guy.

Back