Great political reference

AngleT

Always more tuning to do
Great reference when listening to the GOP candidates debating about how they would deal with/support Israel.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ljxQn5nm8A&feature=player_embedded"]Benjamin Netanyahu Prime Minister of Israel agrees with Ron Paul - YouTube[/ame]

While I agree with Ron Paul on this I can't say for sure if I'll be against the next war. Considering the likely scenarios I most like will be but some things are worth fighting for so you never know.

It's funny how Ron Paul is constantly attacked for being anti-Israel but he has the most pro-Israel stance of any candidate. He is the only one that appears to care about Israeli sovereignty.

It is a bumpr sticker...

sentiment after all, and as such lacks the qualifiers and conditionals that should probably attach to most every statement about nearly everything. That being said I would put the chances of my support for the next war at the extreme 'slim' end of the spectrum. And, of course, there are things worth fighting for;but I would submit only a very few. Unfortunately the post WW2 era has been one in which the US has adopted a kind of geo-political version of the 'butterfly-and-hurricane' theory in which any incident in the world can be magnified into a plausible (if not credible) issue of grave national security interest. This sort of facile thinking is, I believe, what Paul is forthrightly against. Not being either pro-Israel or anti-Israel (any more than I am pro or anti Belgium, just to pick a small country at random) I can't say that any incident there would be automatic grounds for siding with the Israelis; it is perfectly conveivable- maybe even likely- that action by Israel could be the proximate cause of a conflict. Their history of 'pre-emption' doesn't give me much comfort that we would necessarily wind up on the right side of the thing.

How can you be anti-Belgium?

They've got Beer out the ying yang! In fact I actually saw the discussion of beer stop a near brawl at the train station in Brussels! Soccer finals in 1995 and I ended up between some Scots behind me who weren't too happy with the Danes celebration in front of me! Whew, thank goodness all soccer hooligans can agree on beer!! Funny how Danes speak perfectly clear english, and Scots speak perfectly clear english cuss words!

Oh, here is what Belgium thinks of you!

08.%20%20Manneken%20Pis%204-23-09.JPG

:nana:

And back to the topic at hand...

I think most American's are perfectly willing to jump on the bandwagon early on, while the mission seems clear... they just keep forgetting that things NEVER end up ending that way. So it's easy to get down with the 'war', it's the cleanup and the cumbersome attempt to fix things, to fit our sense of neat, that gets so nasty and drawn out.

Back