Guilty quasi-ot pleasure: IRN-BRU (dedicated to Papa Tony)

seattlex19

Mac (RETIRED, pm off)
For years here I've been hearing regaled the many storied tales of "MOXIE" :clap:

I've never tasted it but it must be some pretty remarkable stuff, I do not doubt :drink::worship: Heck there are several "moxie-isms" now in somewhat common use in Xhead circles worldwide, it has etched a place in X lore as a needed item for repairs alongside brake fluid and redline...!

I tend not to drink nearly as much soda/pop as I used to, if anything these days maybe some decent ginger ale, but Rose has me drinking a lot more water (probably a good thing) she is a water fiend! I am thinking of getting her one of those novelty backpacks that people fill with beer at the game and hide under their jacket, just fill hers with water.. i digress ...

Something I'm not sure I've mentioned before, (maybe once? eons ago) akin to the many moxie-isms, I have a similar "hooked like a junkie" guilty soft drink pleasure of my own. Since I'm about to lose net here to move I thought one last decent "DFBS" topic for the road :D :cool: "Papa Tony Style" :pimp:

My secret super soda selection: IRN BRU, "Scotland's other national drink!" :laugh:

800wi.jpg

irnbrugirders.jpg

irnbru.gif

So theres my big reveal, Irn-Bru. Non-US readers may be nonplussed by all this fanfare, it is a well known drink as coke or pepsi in some markets, but here in the States its a relatively unknown brand, don't know about other parts of the US but up here in the PacNW you need to either hang around Scottish themed gift shops, or travel outside the country to find it (in person that is...)

The only thing I think that stinks is, the only Irn Bru you can usually get your hands on here is not even the formula from the UK market, it tastes somewhat different (Canadian girders? :hmm:) it seems sometimes like you almost have to find smugglers to get the real thing here...

Anybody on Xweb got any good Irn Bru stories? Like it? Hate it?

Sorry not really on the X topic, or even the Moxie topic, but DF is about the people as well right :D, and so I wanted to leave Tony and the Moxie crew a "friendly ally to Moxie" from Mac's garage, something to chew on while I'm offline :drink::dance:;)

I'll have to let the thread run (if it turns out to have any legs) and check back after the fact, but I'm hoping for a few good "DF tall tales" about Irn Bru to enjoy reading later, if any? :huh:

Last edited:
Mac, I'll trade ya

I'll trade ya a case of Moxie for a case of Iron Bru.
What say ye? :hmm:

Moxie/IrnBru EXCHANGE? :)

That sounds like a great idea! :excited:

Unless you're of Scottish descent though, "ye be warned here", IrnBru is an 'acquired' taste thing, people either tend to really enjoy it or really not, there seem to be fairly few 'neutral' IrnBru drinkers :hmm:

You still sure you wanna trade me something like a can of "magic Moxie" for a "Mac's garage" drink made from rusty Scottish girders??

Theres another problem too, at the moment, I am out of IrnBRU myself :censored:

(...and, if I could get my hands on a case of that action, it might be half empties when it arrives at the next stop of the mail truck :whistle: -- just not sure I could trust myself alone in a garage with a full on case :hypno: I might freak - I usually have to get it in singles where I can...

OK, I've heard about it here for years...

What is this Moxie stuff really? A commercially available soft drink? Someones homebrewed beer? A running joke of a fictitious drink?

Pete

:confused::confused:

Wow! It's ALL Global!

I LOVE the internet, don't you??? :woot:
I'm going out tonight to get me some and try it.
Mac, if I'm DOA tomorrow, you'll know why!

People here actually think Moxie's a myth?? :hmm:

Warning, if you get the classic Moxie, expect a JOLT. (twice the caffeine)
For those diabetic folks, get the sugar free. :)

trying it

You might want to have a chaser 7-up or sprite handy the first time you try IrnBru (or just a big ol glass of water on standby lol) :laugh:

It has a rather unquantifiable unique element to its flavor that is the part people refer to as the "girders", you would just have to taste it to know it, similar to Moxie in that respect anyway I am guessing, one just has to taste it...

IrnBru is also rather on the sweet side up front so that also turns some taste-testers off, even I can really only drink it in moderation, but I love it :drink: :thumbsup:

Some drink it room temp, some ice cold, I've tried both and prefer it ice cold myself...

Hey, maybe some somebodies here should setup a Moxie and/or IrnBru (or both! :excited:) "group buy"... ? :D

Back