has anyone with FI removed their carbon canister?

eschneider

Daily Driver
I've been throught the haynes manual and the IAP workshop manual; I can't figure out why the carbon canister isn't a constant vacuum leak? (fuel injection systems) Is there an emissions manual out there somewhere?

There's gotta be some kind of valve internal to the canster itself?

has anyone here unplugged the line from the canister to the manifold, and just plugged the manifold?

I understand the rest of the system, except I'm a little bewildered why there are redundant seperators on the tank....

It is a vacuum leak. It's what's known as a calibrated vacuum leak, meaning it's small enough to be accounted for by the F.I. system. And it's accounted for when the CO% is set at the factory.

There is no valve in the canister. On many cars the tiny port on the manifold is clogged anyway. Without it the tank would not vent properly, and any fumes would also vent to atmosphere rather than being consumed in the intake charge.

My daughter is choosing the smileys:
:king::jedi::guns::devil:

Yes, and if you plug your top fuel tank lines that go to the canister (via several check valves) you can and will collapse your fuel tank. Ask me how I know...

fuel tank venting

I'd be interested to find out the "best" acceptable method of getting rid of all those check valves and the carbon canister. Could the vent be hosed into the tire well with a one of those mini oil breather filters on the end??

Wouldn't want it in the interior with me but on my '76 I ran the vents to a small fuel filter placed fairly high up in the engine bay. Not a great solution in a rollover but prolly as safe as the factory arrangement.

///Mike

vent

I'd be interested to find out the "best" acceptable method of getting rid of all those check valves and the carbon canister. Could the vent be hosed into the tire well with a one of those mini oil breather filters on the end??

You want to vent it someplace where the fumes will not bother you, and the air is clean. You also need some kind of a double check valve on the hose, I use the white plastic thing Fiat used in the 70s, but I am sure the equivilant was used by other manufacturers and would love to know about it.

But I must admit on a street car I would just keep all the stock Fiat stuff. It doesn't weigh much, it works, and it does not change your performance if it's attached prperly.

I have got to say I agree with Chris

One thing the X has taught me is that the manufacturers did their home work. Even with the stock carb, catalytic converter, and all the other emissions equipment, I am still impressed with the drivability in stock form . And the evaporative emissions keeps the area around your car smelling more to modern homo sapiens' liking. Every other vehicle on which I have "messed with" the stock equipment results in some sort of compromise, especially cold drive-away. Mine does not care if its 20F or 100F. It just starts up and goes, and nobody drives around me because it stinks.

I'd be interested to find out the "best" acceptable method of getting rid of all those check valves and the carbon canister.

Fuel systems weren't always sealed. In the good ol' days venting was achieved with a vented gas cap...... <grin> Doesn't get much simpler than that. I dunno that a vented cap exists that will fit an X, tho.... maybe an early 850 or 124 sedan? 128? how about the Russian Lada's?

I'm surprised anyone is talking about gas fumes these days. Who cares about the minor inconveniences of HC CO and NOx, now that we've been educated about the spine-tingling perils of CO2?

This is my acceptable method...

dsc00048ixb.jpg

you just wanted to show off the turbo :p

sweet setup! The reason I asked is because I'm working on my own turbo setup and need all the space i can get! How's that working out for you so far?? Any fumes or funny smells or problems of any sort??

sweet setup! The reason I asked is because I'm working on my own turbo setup and need all the space i can get! How's that working out for you so far?? Any fumes or funny smells or problems of any sort??

Nothing yet, but then again it doesnt run...

Well... being Mr. Frugal... I simply...

... corked one outlet and ran a hose from the other to a spare vacuum port on the carb...

Simple, lasts a long time, doesn't rot yur teeth...

Back