Head bolts leaking oil

lwhitesell

Low Mileage
I've got an 82 X1/9 that is leaking oil out the two head bolts at both ends of the head, rear side of the engine. Engine doesn't have many miles on it since being built. Are the head bolts supposed to have some sealant on the threads to prevent oil leaks?

Yes, the cam box is perfectly dry. As are the other head bolts. Just the two end bolts are leaking. My mechanic concurs.

Well... I certainly don't know this for sure...

Because what you describe is somewhat unusual.

If the two end bolts indeed pass through or by an oil passage... I would expect it to NOT have anything to do with the cylinders or pistons... but probably with the cam.

In any case... If this proves to be bothersome... I would pull just the two bolts, clean them up, apply some Permatex BLACK gasket sealer just under the head of he bolt, reinstall, and torque to specs.

I would then let it sit overnight and start it up. I don't imagine there would be, or should be that much oil pressure there and the Permatex should contain and restrain it.

Let us know how ya make out or what ya decide...

No oil is delivered past those head bolts - you can see from the block

IMG_7452a.jpg

It really makes no sense that it would be other than the cam box, but I'm not sure that pulling the head bolts is wise with an old compressed gasket - I certainly wouldn't pull more than one at a time, if you were to try sealing the bolt.

It's the cam box gasket.

Sorry for the false alarm everyone. It is the cam box gasket leaking.
It is leaking on the front side and coming around the corner to the backside of engine. really hard to see. I cleaned everything up real good , for the second time, and found the oil running in a real thin little rivulet down to the drivers side head bolt.
Thank for your helpfull comments.

That gasket is really thin

It is leaking on the front side and coming around the corner to the backside of engine. really hard to see. I cleaned everything up real good , for the second time, and found the oil running in a real thin little rivulet down to the drivers side head bolt.

Here is what I found when I pulled the cam box.
cambox_gskt2.jpg

A nice little break in the gasket. This was on the right rear corner at the t-belt end of the cam box.

e sure to soak the new paper gasket in water for a few minutes prior to installation. Makes it more pliable and it will lay nice and flat too.

Good luck!

Better check the flatness of the cam housing and matching cylinder head surface. There is a reason why this gasket failed and it can be due to warped surfaces.

There is imitation Hylomar on the market today and it simply does not work the same as the original Roll Royce Spec compound.
http://www.hylomar-usa.com/_resources/_html/products.html

Bernice.

Back