Header - Exhaust heat solutions

ward00

True Classic
Today I removed very frayed and brittle heat shielding tape from my header and exhaust. I don't know what asbestos looks like but it was very powdery and brittle (I wore a mask). I replaced the old tape with new modern tape.
The question is: what other mods have any of you made to reduce heat at the back end of the car? The sheet metal gets very hot above the muffler and I would think long term unshielded heat cannot be good for the paint or metal. And yes, there is a school of thought (that I don't attend) that pupping tape on the headers is not a good thing.
20220225_124315.jpg
20220225_114833.jpg
20220225_114840.jpg

I would avoid wrapping the header. Wrap is OK for racecars and cast iron manifolds but will hold moisture and heat in cracking the thin walled tubes. The better option is ceramic coating entire system. Your Monte shouldn't run anywhere near as hot near the shelf as a Scorpion which came with a converter. You could swap to a Scorpion engine compartment cover which has an additional row of vents.

21CC67FD-2D2D-45F4-B3C4-379F982CF249.jpeg

Last edited:
I used to wrap the headers on my race cars. After many failures and research after the fact it was determined that the wrap. while keeping the heat in, also makes the pipes brittle and causes cracks and failures. I agree on coatings.

The only thing back there that is effected by heat is your CV boots. The one nearest the header I wrapped with reflective insulation. Like this and secured with similar ties and haven’t an issue.
BFF3084F-9E08-4D07-ABC0-689D56137C91.jpeg

Much better than any metal knuckle buster heat shield that will rust trying to separate headers from CV boot.

You can barely see in this pic between the header tubes.

FDDF6840-44E7-4557-B16E-8D5D30059B00.jpeg

Scorpions came with a large aluminum box shaped heat shielding underneath the shelf that block airflow out the vents in rear bumper, probably to prevent the converter heat from melting the lower valance. If you still have that (don’t know if Montecarlo has similar), I suggest ditching it.

Getting maximum airflow through the center tunnel likely helps. Airdam, having the front section installed (often missing on cars), removing the hoses inside that run inside the tunnel,...

Unsure what effect having or not having the front engine compartment under shield have. I lean towards not having it allows heat to escape and/or fresh air to enter so go without.

Oil cooler can help lower overall engine compartment temperatures not just by cooling properties but increased oil volume.

Ditch the external thermostat which creates more radiant heat in vicinity.

Going further would be 037 style side scoops (higher off heated road surface than x19 style side vents. And rear mesh grille without so much surface area blocked by taillights and rear license plate. Some mid engine cars came equipped with fans pushing air out rear grille. Haven’t seen anyone do with a Montecarlo, even turbocharged ones creating more heat.

If it’s running super hot, check your air fuel mixture.

For people with Scorpions, ditch the aluminum panel on top of the shelf. It retains water and causes corrosion on your shelf.

Last edited:
The only thing back there that is effected by heat is your CV boots. The one nearest the header I wrapped with reflective insulation. Like this and secured with similar ties and haven’t an issue. View attachment 58550

Much better than any metal knuckle buster heat shield that will rust trying to separate headers from CV boot.

You can barely see in this pic between the header tubes.

View attachment 58552

Scorpions came with a large aluminum box shaped heat shielding underneath the shelf that block airflow out the vents in rear bumper, probably to prevent the converter heat from melting the lower valance. If you still have that (don’t know if Montecarlo has similar), I suggest ditching it.

Getting maximum airflow through the center tunnel likely helps. Airdam, having the front section installed (often missing on cars), removing the hoses inside that run inside the tunnel,...

Unsure what effect having or not having the front engine compartment under shield have. I lean towards not having it allows heat to escape and/or fresh air to enter so go without.

Oil cooler can help lower overall engine compartment temperatures not just by cooling properties but increased oil volume.

Ditch the external thermostat which creates more radiant heat in vicinity.

Going further would be 037 style side scoops (higher off heated road surface than x19 style side vents. And rear mesh grille without so much surface area blocked by taillights and rear license plate. Some mid engine cars came equipped with fans pushing air out rear grille. Haven’t seen anyone do with a Montecarlo, even turbocharged ones creating more heat.

If it’s running super hot, check your air fuel mixture.

For people with Scorpions, ditch the aluminum panel on top of the shelf. It retains water and causes corrosion on your shelf.
First of all, great looking engine bay! I used this same blanket on my Montecarlo catalytic converter with the car needs to pass smog in California.

Back