Header Headaches

pdxgeo

True Classic
Been trying to fit a header on my 128 and having serious issues. The biggest is there is simply not enough tightness to cinch the gaskets to prevent coolant from seeping out. Im thinking MAYBE the header flange thickness is not EXACTLY the same as the old manifold so where the nuts/washers land on "split" landings the pressure is not equal.

Also it is almost impossible to fit a thin walled socket between the header pipes and the intake manifold to tighten the center nut.

Ive been F...ing with it on and off for 2 days and am so pissed i could scream.
:wall:
Has anyone tried fitting a header and experienced anything similar.

Similar issues

On my x19 I was told to thread the coolant holes, find an Allen or similar headed bolt to thread in coolant hole. Use loctite or similar. Make sure bolts are long enough to no fall in.

Been trying to fit a header on my 128 and having serious issues. The biggest is there is simply not enough tightness to cinch the gaskets to prevent coolant from seeping out. Im thinking MAYBE the header flange thickness is not EXACTLY the same as the old manifold so where the nuts/washers land on "split" landings the pressure is not equal.

Also it is almost impossible to fit a thin walled socket between the header pipes and the intake manifold to tighten the center nut.

Ive been F...ing with it on and off for 2 days and am so pissed i could scream.
Has anyone tried fitting a header and experienced anything similar.

I built a header for a Strada engine I had in a 128. The flange for the header was not as thick as the aluminum intake manifold. I turned some thick washers and notched them to match the different heights where the two pieces met. I had some issues with sockets fitting in between the pipes. I wound up modifying those too.

Socket

1/4" drive sockets are normally thinner. On the Allison header on my X, I took a 1/4" drive socket, and then further thinned the wall on a grinder to get something to work. Careful to leave enough wall to have strength to turn the bolt/nut... its a fine line... good luck!

Thanks guys, I realize I forgot to ask if any gasket sealant is required at this union? There certainly didnt seem to be any when i removed the old gaskets but could that be part of the issue?

I was about to give up but knowing you're not alone is always helpful. I will figure this thing out and the car will run much stronger for it!

Last edited:
question for Mrxx19

Are you referring to the coolant passages? Is it ok to block them off on a carbed car?

header probs

this is a dumb question, but here goes
is the header flange the same thickness as the manifold??
some headers used a small l bracket to compensate for this, welded at the junction where the two manifolds meet so the nut or bolt tightens and torques the same
been there....done that
mikemo90*aol.com

Back