headlight motor question

jrweikle

True Classic
does the headlight motor turn in both directions when opening and closing or only one? how does it know when to stop? is there a timer or relay. i suspect the diodes have something to do with it but am not sure. is there a cam operated switch concealed inside the motors? my problem is i can make the headlights go up and down by supplying 12 volts to the motor and to the individual relay points. the headlights will go up by the headlight switch but will not go back down. i have swapped relays with known good ones so i figure it is the headlight switch.

Diodes

Hey
Bob Brown is the man to explain the ups and downs of headlight actuation but the symptoms you describe are identical to what I had and the diodes the Iago. in4004 are the diodes and its pretty easy.
Good luck
Nick

Motor direction

The motors travel in one direction only. There are two limit switches cams one for fully up and the other for down.

If both motors will not come down check the fuses and relays as there is an up relay and a down relay circuit. The diode only blocks a back feed. Meaning that if one motor gets to the limit before the other the lagging motor does not back feed into the stopped motor and cause it to drive again and wink. Two simplfy trouble shooting disconnect one motor and see if you can get just one motor to work correctly.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

bbrown sent me a link to the headlight pod wiring description
thanks

(which I should have looked for harder before posting)
but
I am fairly confident I have two problems
problem 1 - headlight switch
I am not getting what I expect checking it with my meter and it is a little difficult to switch
(and midwest or IAP neither has one so gotta go looking elsewhere)
problem 2 - diodes.
I have not checked them yet but will this evening

I ripped the headlight motors

and discovered the diodes are bad (if bad is really the word for these)

108b8tl.jpg

yes that is the insides of the diode you see puffed out in white

now my question is how do I know which way to install the diodes back as the originals will not give up this information

white end to single post

install diodes with white end to the post that does not have any other wire going to it.
just did one
Deane

Because I am a lazy slug...

bbrown sent me a link to the headlight pod wiring description
thanks

(which I should have looked for harder before posting)

Because I am a lazy slug and don't want to look any harder than you did... could you share that link? I'm chasing a headlights-no-move problem on one of my cars right now.

Back