Heat shield manifold or carb?

charliesx

Low Mileage
OK guys remember I'm new to Fiats. project is a 76 x, somebody used it as a parts car so stuff is missing. I see the mouting studs on the intake manifold for a heat shield and in my service book (Haynes) it shows the shield at the base of the carb. Do I need both or is it an either or situation. Oh yea its a 1300 and I put the stock carb back on water activated choak etc. the cooling fan and air cleaner were parts victims so it does heat up. runs good now but still have some issues like the heat shield. suggestions?

From memory... the heat shield sits between the manifolds, to stop the exhaust from heating up the intake air. Then under the carb there is a tray to stop fuel dripping down onto the exhaust manifold and setting everything on fire. Both are probably good to have.

Suggestions... find replacement parts. Or make them. And don't run the engine without an air filter. :)

Welcome Charlie...

Our venders probably have the phenolic spacer and shield you are looking for... (Vicks, Madd Mat, C.Obert) For more details... ask.

You can also look at version 1.0 and in Best Of where there should be some homemade examples.

As far as the heat shield on the exhaust manifold... dittos... and most have ditched theirs as it rusts and rattles...

As for me... well I am a derelict I guess that lives a charmed life.

I ditched the heat shield and trimmed the phenolic spacer as the "shield part" broke off... and then I removed the raintray under the engine cover... along with the carb fan and ducting. I also removed the gridwork from each of the side vents for 25% more air flow... and ducted the LEFT vent directly to the cut-down snorkel of the stock aircleaner housing... using a K&N filter.

Bottom line... I run COOL and LIGHTER at 185 degrees all year long.

For YOUR consideration... arguments will ensue... my only comeback is running the snot outta this car for 27 years... and never had the engine apart!

Welcome to the dark side...

thanks guys

I seem to have the situation in hand now thanks to all the help. I have located varrious sheilds and really like the additional air flow ideas. with any luck I'll see some of you this summer.
thanks again

Back