Heat went away

Still a leak...

When the heat is "off", the coolant isn't flowing enough to create heat but the core is still a pressurized part of the system and will still leak coolant when warming up/at temp and draw in air during cooling. This is almost certainly the source of your trouble.

Okay, I will bypass the heater core when the temperature gets a little warmer

I assume I can run a hose from the engine output to heater to the engine input to heater and bypass the heater core.

Any problem with this idea, except for me freezing?:confuse2:

All thoughts are...

... indeed correct, Greg... only the air drawn back into the reservoir would be at the TOP of the tank... and would likely never get drawn into the system unless the that tank was almost empty...

An overflow tank is always a good idea though, for any car!

Hey Todd...

If you smell antifreeze at anytime... then you indeed do have a leak!

FIX IT!

Don't ignore your senses!

What you have is a pinhole leak under HIGH PRESSURE and the antifreeze EVAPORATES almost immediately... leaving you with no visable leak and LOW on coolant.

When you do find it, you should see some evidence or residue... and a PRESSURE TEST should be the tool to find it. Always has worked for me.

Now... if ya don't want to do it the RIGHT WAY... you can always add some BARR'S STOP LEAK! The expensive bottle GUARANTEES it'll stop your leak in ANYTHING or your money back! If I found I had a leak in a heater core... I would probably use this product. It has successfully PATCHED UP leaks in radiators and cores for me that have lasted for more years than I owned the cars.

Let us know how ya do...

Barrs Leak...great stuff

Todd, go get a bottle of this. I have used it in many cars including my daily driver Miata. Daughter's Civic had a drip drip drip in the heater core. Haynes manual said I had to remove the entire HVAC system to replace the core. Bottle of the Barrs Leak sovled the problem.

Also, what are the odds that the long steel coolant pipes might be leaking in the chassis box? They could leak a lot and probably never show any fluid on the ground. Get that bottle of Barrs leak.

carl....with the muddy SL

Okay, I will try Barr's leak

When it gums up my new radiator I will cry.

X1/9 with rally stripe( someday it will get warm enough to remove the rally stripe)

Back